Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ONE fund you have regretted not buying

edited October 2011 in Fund Discussions
For me it is WHOSX. Every year for the past several I thought "Now I will buy it", only to think again "No, it will take a nasty fall". Now I look at the YTD numbers for this fund and I'm just sick to my stomach.

Admittedly being "bond challenged" has had a lot to do with keeping me out of this fund. My idea of buying bonds is through other funds like FPACX or more recently HSTRX.

I just know if I buy WHOSX today it will mark the beginning of an extended run of underperformance for the next several years. So all of you out there who own WHOSX, please thank me:-P

Comments

• ONE fund you have regretted not buying

Better to ask what funds I'm glad I didn't buy.
  • http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/f.aspx?pgid=hetopquote&t=qrsvx

...And yet, "regret" is too strong a word, cuz it was not so much bad judgment involved in not buying Queen's Road... Compared to a lotta stuff, there are impressive numbers, in relative terms--- to be looked at here.
  • edited October 2011
    VF, I've done the same thing all year with Vbltx, Vanguard's long term index. I own a tiny bit, but never ramped it up, while it's racked up huge gains maybe not to be repeated for the next century or so.

• Reply to @Anonymous: You can start another thread:-P
  • With everyone saying that interest rates had nowhere to go but up (for years now) who would have thought that long term treasuries would do so well. PRULX is up about 26% this year to date. I'm sure there may be others that did better but TRP is my company of choice. Anyway, it could be that the rates will move back up over 4% for the 30 year bond, be careful out there.
  • John Neff's Windsor. If I remember correctly, it had been closed for many years, then reopened in the early(?) 80s. Young and naive, I didn't understand the concept of value investing well. I looked at his portfolio, loaded with auto companies (this was when the industry was on its knees, Chrysler having recently been bailed out by the government), and I passed.

• possibly gunlach's funds