Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Closing Bell: U.S. Stocks End Higher: S&P 500 Closes At Record High For 13th Time This Year

Comments

• Starting to think that the term "Record High" is alarmist.

Shouldn't the market be at record high every day?
  • Shouldn't any alarm be when we are not at record high?
  • edited May 2014
    Anybody building-up cash??

Isn't this slow-bleed upward a little unwarranted? I'm not looking for a 10%-20% correction, but shouldn't we be at a point of a mid-level "correction"? Has the economic data and company profits been that good, looking forward, that a meaningful pull-back isn't in the near future?

Have we as investors become so immune (or complacient) that any bad data is "good" because maybe the "FED" will keep rates low across the board or world banks will follow suit or ????

Just some random thoughts!

Matt
  • edited May 2014
    mcmarasco said:

Anybody building-up cash??

Isn't this slow-bleed upward a little unwarranted? I'm not looking for a 10%-20% correction, but shouldn't we be at a point of a mid-level "correction"? Has the economic data and company profits been that good, looking forward, that a meaningful pull-back isn't in the near future?

Have we as investors become so immune (or complacient) that any bad data is "good" because maybe the "FED" will keep rates low across the board or world banks will follow suit or ????

Just some random thoughts!

Matt

I have been trimming a bit and adding a little to a couple of current positions, but net net I'm raising a little cash.

I have been doing less and less, not only from the standpoint of valuations on some things, but really lack of appealing new ideas and the idea that I don't really want to even add much more to some favorites/best ideas.

I'm just sort of sitting on my hands.

I think there is definitely complacency and you get pullbacks and people freak out and act like "Uh, what's this, isn't the market just supposed to go up only?"

Personally, I focus on what I can view potentially owning for 5-10 years, which makes the day-to-day easier.
  • Scott, like you I have been "sort of sitting on my hands" the last few months. I have been adding a little to existing positions, albeit mostly international. I still have about 9% cash that I would like to put to work, but I'm waiting for an "entry point", that really hasn't come, yet.

I feel like i'm "market-timing" by waiting for a "correction", BUT am I really, or is it just prudent to keep some dry powder ready WHEN (not if) a down-draft comes to the equity markets???

I like your long-term outlook of 5-10 years, it is a very reasonable timeframe and DOES help you to sleep at night.

Matt