Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• A related issue:

http://theweek.com/article/index/257404/why-is-american-internet-so-slow#axzz34FujYL6a

"According to a recent study by Ookla Speedtest, the U.S. ranks a shocking 31st in the world in terms of average download speeds. The leaders in the world are Hong Kong at 72.49 Mbps and Singapore on 58.84 Mbps. And America? Averaging speeds of 20.77 Mbps, it falls behind countries like Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia, and Uruguay.

Its upload speeds are even worse. Globally, the U.S. ranks 42nd with an average upload speed of 6.31 Mbps, behind Lesotho, Belarus, Slovenia, and other countries you only hear mentioned on Jeopardy."
  • @rjb: My Comcast download speed is 79.81, upload 19.52.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Where do we stand with respect to countries that pay by the access parameters like speed?
  • @Ted: Excellent speed you're getting.......I'm very happy with my ISP too. I've got Verizon FIOS, and I just upgraded to their 50 Mbps download, 25 Mbps upload speed, and my speedtest.net test is showing I'm getting 58 Mbps download, 38 Mbps upload.
    We are both very fortunate to have these great speeds! Kim Komando, one of the TV/radio tech-geeks, says we can have blazing fast internet speeds in the US, even much faster than both of us are getting, with some changes to infrastructure.

Somewhat unrelated, but my next desktop is going to have a solid state hard drive. They are supposed to be very much faster than the standard hard drives. Not sure if that just speeds up general computer function, or internet browsing too.

Ted, what browser do you use? Some say that Google Chrome is faster than Internet Explorer. I'm using IE 11, and in the process of trying Chrome to test it out.

And what operating system do you use? I'm using Windows 7. Not sure if Windows 8.1 is faster to browse the internet with and for general computer function. I know that boot time is reduced a lot with Windows 8.1, but that may not translate to other computer function/internet browsing.
  • @rjb112 Using Windows 7, IE 10 . Have used Chrome & Firefox, but found IE works best.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rjb112,

Solid state drives are super quick for all activities. Definitely the way to go.
  • Thanks JohnChisum