Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

questions for the Morningstar interviews

Hi, guys.

I'm prepping now for the Morningstar conference; I wanted to give you a heads up and to extend an invitation. I've got a series of manager interviews scheduled, in addition to the regular panel presentations. I thought I'd sketch out the confirmed interviews and ask if folks had questions they'd like me to raise with any of these folks.

Wednesday is mostly panel presentations but we're meeting with Steve Owens, one of Touchstone's managing directors, at 5:00 to talk about their fund lineup and philosophy.

Thursday is long.

7:00 a.m. Breakfast panel with Litman Gregory. Talks by guys from Northern Cross (the late Hakan Castegren's firm, which does and Harbor International) and Water Island (the Arbitrage Fund crew). Some prospect for a question or two there.

8:45 Zac Wydra of Beck, Mack & Oliver Partners (BMPEX)

2:30 Bryan Krug of Artisan High Income, formerly of Ivy High Income (WHIAX). WHIAX is bloated but really solid; Krug substantially outran the comparable funds from Fidelity, T. Rowe and Vanguard during his tenure.

3:30 Josh Alderman, a managing director at Diamond Hill, who wants to do the "firm philosophy" thing.

5:30 Venkatesh Reddy and Kara Paik of Zeo Strategic Income (ZEOIX), folks who describe their philosophy as “short duration meets Benjamin Graham – we invest in short-duration corporate debt, carefully selecting each security in our portfolio of approximately 25 holdings."

Unscheduled but likely is an informal conversation with one of the Columbia Acorn folks (he remembers me from the days that he was a high school debater) and, with luck, a interview with the Whitebox folks to discuss Tactical Income.

If there are questions you'd like me to raise with any of them, let me know and I'll poke on your behalf.

As ever,

David

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hi David, thank you for all you do. Can't help with any questions for those specific individuals/firms other than in general I am always seeking to understand the numbers and quality of the research staff for a fund.
  • Hi David, thanks for asking. Maybe ask Bryan Krug what his strategy for the near future of ARTFX is, given that the HY spread continues to sink (~3.5) toward the record low shown in FRED data (~2.5). Best, AJ
  • Thanks David. Can you find a way to ask Litman Gregory if they would please lower the expense ratio of Litman Gregory Master Alt Strats Inv MASNX? The expense ratio is 1.91% (ouch). Yes, I know that category tends to have high expense ratios, but they could lower it......and their ER is even "above average" in their category, per M*. I do like their multi-manager concept, and choosing 'Masters'.

For the Arbitrage Fund crew.....don't know how you would ask this....but the fund seems to be 'dead in the water' with respect to performance. Not a happy shareholder. Their 2013 total return: 0.85%. 2012 return: 0.27%. No complaints about 2011. 2010: 1.44%. Not focusing on the category, but on an absolute return basis, can't they do better?

• David, thanks for the offer. Can you ask Bryan about whether he has a team of HY analysts (did former Ivy HY analysts come with him to Artisan), is Artisan letting him build up a team, or is he a one-man show. Would also want to know what AndyJ asks, what is his strategy for the near future.
  • Hi David,

Let me just echo and perhaps give a slightly different slant to Andy's and Ace's questions about ARTFX: what does he see as the outlook for high yield at current prices? Near-term is hard to guess, of course, but are there long term values in the current market? M* indicates the fund is almost half cash. Is that just because the fund is new and cash is pouring in faster than they can invest it, or is he holding out for a correction?

Thanks for this invite and for running this site!
  • edited June 2014
    Well put, expatsp ... yep, that angle too.

BK did very well vs. the category in 2008 and Q3 '11, and anything David can tease out about how he accomplished that then, and how he is managing the new fund today to limit the downside, would be welcome info.

Also, he has a chunk in bank loans now -- are those what he sees as values in specific issues? Some bond folk are down on loans now. (Object of the question would be to gauge roughly how he incorporates issue value in his process; apparently it's been a significant thing for him.)
  • Thanks for the Bryan questions. I'd been curious about his decision to leave Waddell & Reed (was bloat an issue?), his take on HY valuations (including stuff in the portfolio other than HY bonds) and how he sees himself as distinctive. Had not thought to ask about the research team issue.

The Litman Gregory gathering is crowded, but I can certainly raise the e.r. question and can angle to get to the ARBFX performance slump.

I'll try, as before, to post highlights in the evening. I might, with Chip's help, be able to get stuff out during lulls throughout the day - I often have 15 minutes free there but almost never have 20.

David
  • edited June 2014
    Yes, see what you can find out from Bryan Krug re. Artisan's commitment to fixed income. After all, he wasn't hired solely to be PM of the HY Income fund; he was hired as HEAD OF ARTISAN FIXED INCOME--- and that would entail _________? Maybe the compliance officer will muzzle him on that, but it's worth a try [think "charm offensive"]

As for Whitebox planning, put this in your travel folder:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-10/whitebox-shorting-never-never-stocks-in-graham-reversal.html

Also, OT but FYI. I just pulled the RiverPark semiannual "report" out of the mailbox. Essentially, it is simply a holdings dump, with requisite summaries of significant accounting policies. No commentaries, no reviews of fund performance, nada, zero, zilch. Apparently, the RiverPark PMs do not believe there was anything they did, in any of their 7 funds, worthy of mention. Pathetic.
  • Hi, heez.

A number of families - Artisan included - have text-free semi-annual reports. They strike me as a waste of paper. In RiverPark's case, the managers do uniformly solid quarterly letters though with the inevitable (given the tech, nearly inexplicable) lag.

David
  • edited June 2014

... In RiverPark's case, the managers do uniformly solid quarterly letters though with the inevitable (given the tech, nearly inexplicable) lag.

David

Where does one find these quarterly letters? I don't see mention of [or I am totally overlooking ] them on the RiverPark website. Getting things thru compliance aside, I felt the recent RiverPark semi-annual report was lacking and would have been improved with some manager commentary.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Agree with Dave. I didn't realize RP does commentary; haven't found any on the site.

One amusing bit from the semi-annual report, which is basically the 3-31-14 listing of holdings: RSIIX-RSIVX lists 5.2% in energy, among which is Checkers Drive-In Restaurants. What of the "burgers, fries, cola, wings, fish, hot dogs, the Big Chicken and more," I wonder, packs the most energy?
  • edited June 2014
    heezsafe said:
    Love the Never Never Index, but Open Table got bought by Priceline, which I totally don't understand. To me, Open Table just feels like someone else could come along and invade that space. Even the website is kind of....blah. It's not slick or interesting.

rjb112 said:

Thanks David.

For the Arbitrage Fund crew.....don't know how you would ask this....but the fund seems to be 'dead in the water' with respect to performance. Not a happy shareholder. Their 2013 total return: 0.85%. 2012 return: 0.27%. No complaints about 2011. 2010: 1.44%. Not focusing on the category, but on an absolute return basis, can't they do better?

I wouldn't expect anything more than low-to-mid single digit returns from Merger Arb funds. May be worse lately from the standpoint of you have traditionally the idea of shorting the company buying and buying the company being bought. In this market, everything is going up. So, while you may get some minor gains from the company being bought, you're losing if the company doing the buying that you're short goes up anyways.

Again though, not going to be something that does more than a single or - in a really good year - a double.
  • Ask all these guys the same question. How much of THEIR fund would they have in a an asset allocation for at 40-50yo or 70yo with a 60/40 stock bond AA. Ask how much is to much? How much do THEY have in their fund relative to their net worth? Thanks.
  • MikeM2 said:

Ask all these guys the same question. How much of THEIR fund would they have in a an asset allocation................ How much do THEY have in their fund relative to their net worth? Thanks.

I think that's a VERY important question that all fund managers should have to report. Currently they report within a range. For example, they report that they have between $500K and $1 million in their fund, or less than $100K, or whatever ranges they have to report.

They need to change the reporting requirements so they are more meaningful. If a stock mutual fund manager has 1 Million in his fund, but has $50 million in investment assets, that's not what I call "skin in the game." It's only 2% of his investments.......

I like what Longleaf Partners Funds does. They do not allow employees to have outside investments. So the fund managers have ALL their investment dollars in the funds.

It's what Warren Buffett does with Berkshire Hathaway. It's what Bruce Berkowitz does with the Fairholme Funds. It should be the standard. If the fund manager doesn't have a large percentage of his net worth in his fund.........well, then he shouldn't be running the fund.

Just my opinion
  • @Maurice: I've gone to several Acorn shareholder meetings (missed last year). My impression is that Ralph Wanger is very emeritus. He sits in the front row and graciously accepts applause, which we happily render. Also, there seems to be quite a bit of comity among the various fund managers, though McQuade likely was the light behind it all for a long time. I am used to asking dumb shareholder questions and will try to keep the general profile of your concerns in mind, as well as MikeM2's, at the next annual meeting (September). There is ample time for Q&A.
  • edited June 2014
    @AndyJ
    You be The Man, Andy, you be The Man. Here's a cookie for the RSIVX smile.

Under Consumer Discr, you will see Lee Enterprises, 9.5%, 3/15/22. Google this with Cohanzick Investment Management, and in this pile (you've have to do some sifting) you'll find an SEC doc, describing the creation of this debenture by private placement memorandum. It was solely created with some of our money, pooled with monies from 3 private equity firms (secured senior lien loan, no more and probably less worrisome than anything else in the portfolio). So, congratulations; if you were not already, we are now proud owners of private equity debt. Hey, "money good," right?:)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Question for ZEOIX managers - Your fund is 3 years old. You claim to be inspired by Ben Graham. He would have the courage of his convictions, so why don't you? Why do both managers have $1 invested in the fund? ($1- $10000 in most recent SAI has to be interpreted as $1 and not $10000, which of course is moot). The trustees of your fund also have $0 in your fund. Does this reflect their confidence in your conviction as well?