Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Columbia Acorn Z

I have a large position in this fund in a taxable account. It has performed brilliantly for years. The last few years not so much. It is hard for me to unload it because of tax implications. Recently I started having dividends and capital gains sent to me and I have been investing the distributions in my Roth IRA . I am putting those proceeds in Vanguard's Mid Cap index which seems to have outperformed The Acorn Z fund.

Question Should I pull the plug on this fund and bite the tax bullet? Or with new managers on board would it make sense to keep it. Even in bad years its done well enough but it seems to have bloated into an index fund like instrument so why pay the higher fees? What say you?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice,

I am thinking about doing the same thing that is ,ditching the fund. But in the past, every fund I decided to sell ended up suddenly doing better than when I own it so I am somewhat apprehensive. Acorn z does have a fairly low expense ratio. Still its higher than the Vanguard equivalent I mentioned. Why pay more for less?
  • I am also a longstanding shareholder and struggling with the same issues. Maybe you should split the baby and sell half.