Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

From the Reformed Broker, Joshua Brown.

http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2014/06/08/horseshoes-and-hand-grenades/

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions." Leonardo da Vinci

Comments

• Good one.

"Better is the enemy of good enough."
  • I love the stock tweets on the side: "Coach (COH) downgraded to Equipment Manager."

Also a good article.
  • "Lies, damned lies, and statistics." If one wants a quote.
    While I agree that close is probably good enough for hand grenades (that's the whole point with them, after all), one gets 3 points for a ringer in horseshoes and one point for being close, so it's just another flawed analogy (at least on the professional horseshoe circuit).

But really, a 60/40 mix for someone under 40 (I'd say under 50)?
    I'd be more impressed if someone proved rebalancing starting more than 20 years before retirement enhanced returns. The never rebalanced portfolio slightly outperformed with higher volatility in the cited example, even after starting with the drag of 40% bonds.
    I agree with John Bogle who seems to support using Social Security as part of one's bond allotment and including more equities.
    A bit surprised that rebalancing every 3 months, which seems a bit hyperactive, provided second best return.