Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Healthcare Rebate check and HSA Mutual Fund BRUFX

beebee
edited June 2014 in Off-Topic
I received a rebate check from my Healthcare provider this month. This was as a result of rules implemented by the Affordable Care Act. My Healthcare provider did not meet the threshold of paying out at least 80% of premiums collected on healthcare related costs in 2013. This "pay out cost" is referred to a "Medical Loss Ratio" which compares the premiums collected against the health care reimbursements paid out by the insurer. In fact, based on state by state calculations, they underpaid healthcare costs by 27.1% in the state I reside. So, the law (ACA) requires that the provider return the portion of what wasn't spent below the 80% ratio, in my state this would equate to a 7.1% rebate.

My take:
-Based on the ACA a 20% profit margin on premiums is accepctable...nice to know how the government has a mechanism to curb profit margins.
-This 2013 rebate check must have impacted Healthcare providers profit margins (in the past, this 27.1% would have gone to bonuses, dividend, etc.)
-By making healthcare coverage mandatory for all adults this 20% allowable profit margin is from a bigger pie (more people) therefore more dollars of profit.

As for my HSA (Health Savings Account) Mutual Fund:

I opened an HSA account with the Bruce Fund at the start of the year. The account has had a nice YTD return of 16.43%. With The Bruce Fund (BRUFX) an investor can view account information online, but transactions are by "snail mail" (not much of a draw back with an HSA account).

BRUFX

Comments

• Congrats on buying BRUFX. I've been eyeing it forever, waiting for it to underperform some of my other funds so I can swap into it, but that never seems to happen.
  • BRUFX performance is in the top one percentile for all time frames from one month thru 15 years, with the exception of the 3-year return, for which it is in the third percentile of performance; all data from M. What an amazing performer.
    http://screencast.com/t/1bf1D4qtDEn2
  • Just took a look at the fund's website and the most recent semiannual report and annual report. To put it nicely, let's just say that what the fund lacks in shareholder communications, it makes up for in performance. To put it not so nicely.....worst fund website and fund "reports" I have seen in a long time.....
  • @bee

Thank you for keeping us in the loop regarding your discoveries regarding HSA and ACA implications and interactions.

Regards,
    Catch
  • One of the tragedy's of my life. BRUFX not available for sale in TX.
  • One of the tragedy's of my life. BRUFX not available for sale in TX.

Seem like a silly exclusion that you should be able to figure out a "work around"...maybe a relatives address in another state?

• bee said:

One of the tragedy's of my life. BRUFX not available for sale in TX.

Seem like a silly exclusion that you should be able to figure out a "work around"...maybe a relatives address in another state?

Are you a psychologist? You are making me divulge my innermost held secrets. Like my relatives suck and I had to come to Texas to escape them.
  • TedTed
    edited June 2014
    MFO Members: For your information, BRUFX superior performance is entirely due to the wonderful pure Lake Michigan water we drink here in Chicagoland. Both Jeffrey & Robert Bruce drink some of it each day.
    Regards,
    Ted

Chicago: Frank Sinatra:
  • According to this site the water is not all that pure.
    http://waterquality.waterfiltercomparisons.com/chicago-il-drinking-water-quality-report/

They even found lead in the water. No surprise there with all the lead flying around.