Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Not that you all don't know; here's quite the market chart......LIP

edited October 2011 in Off-Topic
This chart, VTI shows how crazy the moves have been since August; and the swings really show here.

For those not familiar; you may use this chart link for looking at your favorite tickers; and the chart is fully useable upon opening the below link. Save this chart to your favorites. When you return to the site; you may place whatever ticker you choose in the top, left area box, and click update. Also, this chart is set to 1 year, but just below the chart box area, you will find drop down choices to set in months or back to 3 years.....after a change, click the update icon. Also, I have this set for 50, 100 & 200 day EMA. You may change this too; which you will find just below the chart box. The site also has a nice learning icon near the top of the page; so that you may continue your schooling. Just to the right of the ticker area, you will find daily or weekly for how the closing prices are displayed. This chart is set to daily.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=VTI&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p67871394943

Past this; I must now go back to the magic 8 ball and Ouidja board to determine if I/we wait for the folks in Europe or just go hide the monies for the time being.....:):):)

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited October 2011
    hi catch
    what's the best place to hide your cash? CDs are yielding sh*'t ~ 0% and MM are not too shabby [there was an article that I've linked the past few days dealing with many red flags regarding MM]...

Hidden Dangers Lurking In Money-Market Funds
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203658804576636981037152802.html
  • I'm "hiding" quite a bit in a particular bond fund. Though my ol' reliable Matthews (MAPIX and MACSX) may fall, PREMX is weather-ing the European storm. Granted, it's a M* three-star fund and exposed to interest rate changes. Not the best of its kind out there, and maybe it doesn't even meet your definition of a safe haven, but it's serving that purpose for me. The share price rises and falls. Recently,, it fell quite a bit, but is climbing again, in baby steps. I'm in it for the dividends, not the share price, anyhow.
  • Hi Mark, I have switched form VTI to ISI, S&P 1500 Index ETF. Both charts are looking much the same. I have been buying equities in the lower part of the trading range. Take a look at PMDAX, Principal's Small & Mid Cap Equity Income Fund, a new fund that is targed to yield about 4% to 6%. Another fund is PGBAX, Principal Global Diversified Income Fund yielding better than 5%. The sales load will stop some but perhaps some that follow the board may have access to special purchase arangement, load free.

Anyway, here is the link to the charting of ISI that I follow.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=isi#chart1:symbol=isi;range=3m;indicator=dividend+split+sma(10,65,200)+macd(27, 12, 9)+mfi(10)+stochasticslow;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

Have a good day and Good Investing.

Skeeter
  • Howdy johnN,

I violated our normal position with holdings cash in "cash". Our cash monies have always been in a bond fund. We have access to many decent bond funds that do not have a fee/penalty tied to a minimum holding period and at the same time return a decent return on the monies. A mistake for the better part of this year.
    MM funds that I have reviewed for informational purposes only, indicate that the 0% rate return when combined to expense fees/ratios show that many of these MM's will have about a -.5% loss of the year.
    So, past what some may presume as not the place to park money in Oct. of 2011; we will move monies into a bond or more than one bond fund to "park".

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi Max,

I believe you'll do fine with the two Matthews funds; as well as the EM bond fund. The EM bond funds have been stalled by the strength of the $US this year; which may remain in place...UNTIL the Euro area is somewhat settled, although the forward for the EU folks is going to be a hard road forward, with more debt and slower growth; while attempting to maintain a social/democratic form. Kinda hard to pay for more debt burden; and at the same time have less money (slower growth) with which to repay.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi Skeeter,

Thank you for your time with the charts. We have been in and out of some high load funds in the past; in particular, GHAAX. However, the loads were waived; as the funds were part of a retirement plan group.
    A recent peek via M* indicates that our overall expense is .73% for our managed funds. We can live with this; as the other path would be to use inexpensive index or efts funds; which is not ruled out for the future; but is not what we are doing today.

The PGBAX you indicated is a bit on the expensive side to me, for a bond fund. The indicated yield would be offset by the front load and ER.

OK, back to the books for me; this morning.

Take care,
    Catch