Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Last Of The Artisans

Thanks to this months entry by Mr. Snowball I now know ARTZX has investor class shares. As long time readers may know, I have an Artisan Portfolio at one broker with smattering of other funds. I have no Emerging Market exposure to speak off and now I know I can invest in ARTZX. However the fund seems characteristically un-Artisan. I mean it kinda sucks.

ARTZX reminds me of a fund that never was to be. Oakmark Small Cap. Good Fund company and also good enough to recognize, they just didn't have ability to invest in Small Caps, so gave up. Brave thing to do. Question is, is ARTZX Oakmark's Small Cap? Why does it look like the Black Sheep of the family. How many Owlies (newly coined term trying to describe all of us without expectation of royalties) own it?

Comments

• How many Owlies (newly coined term trying to describe all of us without expectation of royalties) own it?

I thought we were called MFOers

• edited July 2014
    xxx
  • Artisan's EM fund has always made me a bit uncomfortable (a team that I didn't know and that didn't seem to have experience in running a mutual fund, the oddity of a purely institutional focus, high downside capture, and a portfolio that doesn't seem particularly distinctive). Still, it's drawn over $500 million in assets.The highlight of my early manager research was the fact that she caused a panic, and legal change, by building a garage. The fact that it was institutional-only gave me a convenient excuse for ignoring it.

I suppose, come fall, that will have to change.

As ever,

David
  • rjb112 said:

How many Owlies (newly coined term trying to describe all of us without expectation of royalties) own it?

I thought we were called MFOers

Come On! You gotta admit Owlies is easier on the tongue. Sounds like 2 syllables. MFOers like a contrived 4.

:D
  • Artisan's EM fund has always made me a bit uncomfortable (a team that I didn't know and that didn't seem to have experience in running a mutual fund, the oddity of a purely institutional focus, high downside capture, and a portfolio that doesn't seem particularly distinctive). Still, it's drawn over $500 million in assets.The highlight of my early manager research was the fact that she caused a panic, and legal change, by building a garage. The fact that it was institutional-only gave me a convenient excuse for ignoring it.

I suppose, come fall, that will have to change.

As ever,

David

Thinking it is prudent to wait for it to tank before considering. Harder to lose that way. After all I'm curing myself of Excessive Funditis.