Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Have Metals (Funds) Finally Bottomed?

This unloved asset class may have bottomed in December of 2013.

Article:
shortsideoflong.com/2014/07/metals-moving/

Some Equity PM I follow and the YTD, 1 YR and 3 YR Perfromance:

Comments

• My question. After a run up of over 30% , is it time to buy more?
    Derf
  • edited July 2014
    Hi bee,

I noticed that too as I have a metals fund is my asset compass. However, I have become more income oriented, now being in retirement, and less apt to make special investmets in assets that don't produce income. Junkster made a good call at the first of the year about high yield muni's and form what I can tell he has done well with his position. However, its seems hi yield muni's have been meeting some headwinds during the past month. Now, I am not an unhappy camper with what my portfolio has done year to date being up 7.5% as I write. I have had some stull that has posted in the double digits but none that match the metals. My best performing sleeve within my portfolio during the past thirty days has been my small/mid cap sleeve which is up about 4.5% for the thirty day period.

Old_Skeet
  • edited July 2014
    Canadian energy is another previously unloved little sub-sector that has done exceedingly well this year. I owned (sold about a week or so ago) CNQ, up 37% for the year. I also owned Dynamic Energy Income (DWEIX), a heavily Canadian energy income fund that is no longer (and stopped right before Canadian energy started ramping higher.) I still own and like Vermilion Energy (VET), but the nice monthly dividend makes that an easier long-term holding.

It kinda goes back to the question above, though:

"My question. After a run up of over 30% , is it time to buy more?"

I'd also ask that question, for metals as well. I'd go with no.
  • Got out of Muni bonds last week as the trend seems to be reversing. Good six month
    play for me.