Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Clueless...Why is the GBP having such a smooth upward move?

beebee
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
May or may not have anything to do with mutual funds, but I wonder what has allowed the the British pound to appreciate so much over this last year with very little volitality?

Currency has appreciated almost 20% over the last year...not a bad return for just holding cash!

Comments

• edited July 2014
    @bee Bee, what's come over you? Are you now considering becoming a currency trader? For cryin' out loud, that would not be compatible with hovering over our parent's medical concerns (which can turn on...a...dime). Gotta remain nimble, you know.
  • edited July 2014
    I took some money out of GBP very recently that had been put in in the low-to-mid $1.50 area. People were really negative on GBP a year or two ago, but boy, it's had quite a move on what has seemed like only *mildly* improving fundamentals.
  • @bee: For your information.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Pound Sterling Forecast:
    http://www.poundsterlingforecast.com/
  • beebee
    edited July 2014
    I want to grow "my portfoilio" up to be just like Scott's... nice job! Making money on money! Now don't tell me you also parked it in a British CD making an additional 7%.

Heezsafe must be mix it up with the Brits as well...sorry for turning on the light.

Everyone...go on back to your TV programs and turn up the volume...ignore the man with the wheelbarrow of BPS.

Thanks Ted for the Link.
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks for the kind words - I definitely make mistakes and have some unintentional successes. This was the latter - I have had a small handful of odds and ends investments in London (so bought in GBP). Trimmed some of them back and moved GBP back to USD and put proceeds in other investments. I didn't expect the kind of run that GBP has had.