Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking to build Bond potfolio

edited October 2011 in Fund Discussions
Considering Dodix and DLTNX to add to my existing FSICX and TWC emerging markets debt fund.

Would this pretty much cover the spectrum of bonds. Any comments on better idea or additions to my choices above?
I believe I would have corporates, Government, Domestic , foreign both developed and emerging and currncies.

Burt

Comments

• Hi Burt,
    I recall a mention about RNDLX a few days ago to you. This fund may be placed at our house; versus DLTNX. RNDLX appears to be able to travel the bond sectors as needed; whereas, DLTNX is a mortgare bond (very well operated) fund.
    Or opt for some money to both funds.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Catch I believe that rndlx is composed of closed end funds besides bonds managed by Gundlach. I Am looking more for a core fund that is why I chose dltnx and Dodix to complement the core with mortgage and corporate mix.

Burt
  • Hi Burt......

Ok, I misunderstood. So, you are still in need of a core "bond" fund and the other bond funds you now have will complement that core holding? Yes?

Regards,
    Catch
  • Yes, I need about 2-3 outstanding core funds complimenting each other with the best performance
    Burt
  • While it has had an off year, I think that actually makes it an attractive time to invest in Templeton Global Bond (TEGBX), as I think Michael Hasenstab is an outstanding manager. I think an alternative fund is another "supporting player" option; Pimco Unconstrained (PUBDX) is one option, although others such as Pimco Credit Absolute Return (and I believe Loomis Sayles and a few other managers have absolute return funds) are also worth exploring.

I also wouldn't be entirely fixed income (or entirely equity.)
  • This is pretty easy. Use a mix of funds that give you a broad spectrum of fixed-income holdings, investment styles, and opportunities. LSBDX, OSTIX, TGBAX, GSDIX, BSIIX, and JBGIX might be a good start. With these you get domestic government, corporate, convertible, preferred, and foreign sovereign and corporate, with some non-dollar, local currencies, too. There are other specific funds that would fill the mix, of course. But the management teams for these have some impressive records and consistent practices. I would avoid funds whose mandates restrict management's ability very much in terms of where and how they invest.