Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why start a new mutual fund at $2/share?

edited October 2011 in Fund Discussions
I'm perplexed by the starting price of the new Grandeur Peak mutual funds. Perhaps they are just doing what they learned at Wasatch. But why $2? What possible advantage is there to such a low starting price besides the illusion of owning more than you really have?

In my view, starting at such a low offering price doesn't offer enough precision or fidelity to the fund's day to day movements. There must be a 0.5% increase (or decrease) for the fund's NAV to change. For a fund that is priced at $10, only a 0.1% change is needed to affect the NAV. Starting at $100 requires only a 0.01% change to affect the NAV.

So what's the big deal? Well, there's a certain amount of round-off error that occurs each day in the fund's NAV reporting - and you might get stuck on the wrong end when you purchase or sell shares.

For example: I want to invest $10,000 in GPIOX. The closing price when I bought was $2.01. I thus purchased 4975.124 shares. But in reality, the fund's NAV was $2.005 and was rounded up to $2.01. In that case, I should have purchased $10,000/$2.005 = 4987.531. The difference in the number of shares (12.407) at $2.01 NAV reflects a $24.94 shortchange.

Now perhaps, Grandeur Peak uses 3 decimal places (say $2.005) when figuring number of shares bought or sold. I don't know? Would David know? This would make my argument moot and I can go back to resting peacefully.

Mike_E

P.S. I'm still waiting for GPIOX to be offered at Vanguard Brokerage Services so that I can swap my Vanguard Small Cap International Index Fund (VFSVX) for it.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Most new mutual funds start out with a nice round number for NAV, $10 being a very common one. I wouldn't worry too much about being cheated because of round-off error; it's very likely they figured your number of shares to the third decimal point based on the NAV to the third decimal point (tenth of a cent). To put your mind at ease, you should call them and ask.
  • I apologize for not being clear. I assumed a hypothetical trade and its outcome based on rounding NAV to the nearest cent. I haven't purchased any shares yet, but I intend to when the funds become available at VBS. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike_E
  • I agree that it seems odd to start at $2 a share. That is more short term bond fund territory.
  • I'll mention the fuller explanation in the November column, but here's the painfully simple answer: "that's what we always did at Wasatch."

• Maybe Wasatch people think that it simplifes reporting? I found that quite often the prices of Wasatch funds do not move at all, and then few days later they suddenly jump. Here is the reason: Suppose the fund is up 0.1%, with the price $10 per share. The new price is $10.01, you must report it. Now suppose the price is $2. The new price is $2.002. You continue reporting the previous day price $2.00. Thus you report the change in price only when it becomes greater than 0.5%.
  • The managers agree that an effect of the low NAV is that small changes, up or down, don't appear and that larger changes, when a series of small changes cross the 0.5% threshold, might be more common.

That said, the original rationale was symbolic: Wasatch had micro-cap funds with unusually low thresholds for closing, and they saw the tiny NAV as a reminder of that difference.

David