Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Yale Endowment's Biggest ETF Investment And The Logic Behind It

TedTed
edited July 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: The ivory tower wizards running one of the U.S.'s largest university endowments have woefully lagged the stock market recently.
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTgzMjQ5ODI=

Comments

• "SPY carries a P-E ratio of 17, price-book of 2.4 and a dividend yield of 2.29%."

According to M*, SPY has a dividend yield of 1.83%
  • I thought endowments generally invested conservatively?
  • edited July 2014

I thought endowments generally invested conservatively?

Me too.
    I thought the old standard was a 60/40 allocation.
    60% stocks. 40% bonds.

Now that has been replaced with a lot of alternative investments like private equity, hedge funds, merger arbitrage, etc, but still JohnChisum's point remains.

And the person in charge of the Yale endowment is David Swensen. He's a big believer in multiple asset classes that don't correlate well with each other.

FWIW, he wrote a book for the non-professional investor, and recommended the following asset allocation:

20% REIT
    15% TIPS
    15% US Treasury bonds
    30% US stocks
    20% foreign stocks (including a dedicated emerging markets allocation)

all passively invested, meaning with index funds.

• Lecture by David Swenson to Robert Shiller's Financial Markets class where Swenson explains why he feels the 60/40 model is broken for endowments and other portfolios with an unlimited time horizon.