Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Argentina in Selective Default (just on CNBC.)

Comments

• Err...you saying someone on CNBC trying to crash Argentina? I can totally believe it. Just asking because do not see any link or anything in your post.
  • http://www.cnbc.com/id/101879464

This is the second or third time around for Argentina I think. They are blaming the hedge funds.

• edited July 2014

Err...you saying someone on CNBC trying to crash Argentina? I can totally believe it. Just asking because do not see any link or anything in your post.

No, just announced on CNBC that Argentina has been declared in selective default.

Now elsewhere, at this point.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-30/argentina-defaults

"As Bloomberg notes, by defaulting today, Argentina may trigger bondholder claims of as much as $29 billion -- equal to all its foreign-currency reserves."

As for governments blaming hedge funds, Argentina is learning well from other countries whose governments point fingers whenever faults are brought up.
  • I actually side with Argentina here. The hedge funds own the small amount of debt that was not renegotiated in their last default and are demanding full repayment. It seems to me that to accede to this demand would just encourage no one to renegotiate during a default hindering future national bankruptcies from ever resolving.
  • HCOYX went up 2.98% today. It's top 3 holdings are Argentina bonds, accounting for 17% of its portfolio. Was the big rise in NAV due to what is going on in Argentina? I would have thought it would cause the fund to go down. Or did this happen after markets closed and it can be expected for HCOYX to go way down tomorrow. I have HCOYX, so I'm a little concerned.
  • Chinfist said:

HCOYX went up 2.98% today. It's top 3 holdings are Argentina bonds, accounting for 17% of its portfolio. Was the big rise in NAV due to what is going on in Argentina? I would have thought it would cause the fund to go down. Or did this happen after markets closed and it can be expected for HCOYX to go way down tomorrow. I have HCOYX, so I'm a little concerned.

Happened after close. Unfortunately, I'd guess down tomorrow. People have been buying Argentina thinking this wouldn't happened, especially in the last few days/week.
  • Thanks Scott.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This country has been in some form of default for at least the last 50 years.
    The government continues to trample the citizens and their monies.
    Any hedge fund or others who assume to be enlightened towards investing in this country apparently have not studied and do not understand or have knowledge of the modern history of the country; and perhaps think they know how to work the system of investments there or just feel lucky.
    Numerous articles are readily discovered regarding these circumstances.

Sleep tight investors..........

Catch
  • edited July 2014
    Maurice said:

Too big to fail? How long before the IMF (i.e. the US) bails out Argentina? It's what we do.

JP Morgan is apparently talking about bailing out the situation.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101860797

We have governments around the world who appear desperate to postpone economic Winter as far as they can. This situation (like Greece) is going to have money thrown at it by someone and it will go away until the next mini-crisis. I believe this Argentine issue is ultimately a buying opportunity. The Russia situation is something else entirely and more concerning.
  • I wonder if "selective default" is anything like "partial pregnancy"?

This does rather substantiate Mr. Hasenstab's argument for focusing on countries with healthy current accounts surpluses and hard currency reserves.

David
    scott said:

Chinfist said:

HCOYX went up 2.98% today. It's top 3 holdings are Argentina bonds, accounting for 17% of its portfolio. Was the big rise in NAV due to what is going on in Argentina? I would have thought it would cause the fund to go down. Or did this happen after markets closed and it can be expected for HCOYX to go way down tomorrow. I have HCOYX, so I'm a little concerned.

Happened after close. Unfortunately, I'd guess down tomorrow. People have been buying Argentina thinking this wouldn't happened, especially in the last few days/week.
    HCOYX down only 2.43% today. Breathing a sigh of relief.