Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee August 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Myanmar: Has The 'Frontier' Economy's Time Finnally Arrived

FYI: Leveraging their longtime presence and hefty government backing, Japanese businesses eager to hedge their risks in China and find new offshore production bases and markets are rushing into Myanmar, setting up factories and taking on mentoring roles across a wide range of industries, from stock trading to rice growing.
Regards,
Ted
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/rushing-myanmar-will-foreign-investments-pay/

Comments

• Very impressed with TRAMX's performance most noteable over this last market donwturn. As other funds have tumbled TRAMX has held onto its upward momentum.

What are you favorite "Frontier" funds?
  • beebee
    edited August 2014
    On a separate note:

To my way of thinking, "Frontier Investments" can also be defined as businesses that are "getting there first". The US is experiencing an energy renaissance and the companies that are "getting their first" seem to fit a type of frontier investing theme in my book. I consider many technology companies (Bio-Tech, Communication, Aerospace, etc.) as "Frontier Investments".

Successfully investing in a "Frontier Countries" often has to do with a unique and valuable set of resource (cheap educated labor, natural resources, or sound business friendly governance).