Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"buy the unloved?" Step One, figure out what it means to be unloved.

I've been toying for a while with a story on Morningstar's venerable "buy the unloved" strategy. It starts with the simple premise that most people, quite reliably, do exactly the opposite of what's in their best interest. In its first manifestation, the strategy was to buy the three sectors that saw the greatest outflows (measured by change in percentage of assets at year's end) and hold them for 3-5 years while selling the most popular sectors. I liked it, then Morningstar stopped publishing it. When they resumed, the strategy had a far more conservative take: buy the three sectors that saw the greatest outflows measured in total dollar volume and hold them, while selling the most popular sectors.

Oh, by the way, they haven't traditionally allowed bond funds to play. They track bond flows but, in a private exchange, Mr. Kinnel allowed that "Generally they are too dull to provide much of a signal."

The problem with, and perhaps strength of, the newer version is that it means that you'll mostly be limited to play with your core sectors rather than volatile smaller ones. By way of example, large cap blend holds about $1.6 trillion - a 1% outflow there ($16 billion) would be an amount greater than the total assets in any of the 50 smallest fund categories. Large cap growth at $1.2 trillion is close behind.

Morningstar has taken, very quietly, to publishing fund flow reports each month. Here's the August report, for what interest it holds.

Who's unloved? Over the past 12 months:

intermediate term bonds - down $57 billion but up $7 billion YTD
large cap growth - down $35B
intermediate government - down $23B over the past 12 months
TIPs - down $22B
National munis - down $13B
commodities - down $11B
EM bonds - down $8B

Who's really unloved? Though Morningstar doesn't do the calculations, it appears that some of the emerging markets (China and India in particular) and currency funds have seen 10-25% of their assets disappear over the past year.

There's a lot of poke through. Hope you enjoy.

David

Comments

• Thanks David. Interesting
  • MAINX has done quite well despite being unloved.
  • Great stuff, definitely worthy of a bookmark, but I can't find it on a search from the M* retail site - is it advisor material, David?
  • Funny enough, I couldn't find it on the M* retail site either, but when I googled "mutual fund flows" I found a Marketwatch article about Morningstar's report with the same link in it that David used. I then tried to back into where it is on M*'s site, went to their corporate page, found the Documents Center and then couldn't find the report.
  • Like LLJB, I Google "fund flows site:corporate.morningstar.com". That usually takes me to a series of publicly accessible .pdf files. Oddly, when I clicked on a file labeled "June" (I think), it resolved to the latest report.

David
  • Thanks - I didn't immediately find either of the pages you guys mentioned, but found a news page on that corporate site that had a link to the PDF. So I bookmarked it and hopefully it'll refresh to the current page next time around.