Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New Highs for AAPL

Apple has been one of the engines of this bull market. Now that the stock has reached new highs, the question is how high can it go?

Disclaimer; I own AAPL.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-19/apple-soars-to-record-amid-optimism-about-coming-products.html

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I think there was an switch recently and can't really put my finger on why (maybe the somewhat lackluster reception for the Galaxy S5?) where Samsung has flipped and gone South and Apple has gained attention again. Maybe after the split, the average person could be more interested again? There has been some positive buzz around the upcoming IPhone. There has been a lot of discussion that the iPhone 6 will finally offer NFC after all these years of Apple not offering that as a feature. Apple also has the iBeacon.

In terms of NFC, I love using mobile payments but all those involved (especially the carriers) have really done a tremendously poor job at promoting mobile payments in this country. It's so easy to click a button and show my loyalty card, have the cashier scan it, then hold the phone without doing anything else against the point of sale device. With Google Wallet, you are not using your card at point-of-sale, either, it's the master Mastercard for Google Wallet (what I consider a very nice element of security, given what's been going on with things like at Target.)

All that said, I love my Google-branded LG (Nexus 5.) I've thought about looking around at what's out there a little bit, but the Google Nexus phones are just a great combination of features (they get Android updates about when they come out, among other things), performance and price tag (you get a lot of phone for less.) If Apple offers NFC, I may think about going that route down the road, but don't feel like I need to upgrade for a while.

• I am considering upgrading. I have the 4s at the moment. The fingerprint sensor sounds like it works perfect. I also hope the NFC is bundled with the iPhone 6.

I do believe the split brought the price down to where the average joe decided to buy. I know it makes no difference but even I purchased at $94.13.

I am very curious about the health apps upcoming and I think this is the sleeper product. From what I have read, there is a whole universe that Apple can tap into. Healthcare as many here already know is a booming sector.

I have heard that the Samsung Galaxy was not selling as well as hoped. Samsung counts phones shipped to dealers as sold. But overall Samsung is the leader because they have so many models of phones. It's unreal how many they have. Apple has just the one with different capacities. Some older models are still sold as well. Samsung does not have the ecosystem that Apple has and that is a huge factor too.
  • edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.