Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's The Reason For All The Fund Outflows At Fidelity ?

FYI: More Fidelity stock funds are suffering withdrawals than adding money this year
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20140822/FREE/140829963?template=printart

Comments

• Isn't this a bit early even for you, Ted?
  • TedTed
    edited August 2014
    @rjb112: The early bird gets the worm, and I have to be at the golf course at 6:00 AM CDST.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Happy golfing. A game I have never played.
  • Okay, forget 08-09. I just charted way way too big / 'what, are you nuts' FCNTX and way way too-volatile-for-anyone FLVCX against SP500 for 5/3/1y.

And since I am fundamentally too impatient to invest in mfunds in the first place, I also checked 3m and 1m.

Ooh, look, and guess what?
  • I wonder if there is another factor . Loss carryover from 2008 is pretty much over and I know that I was upset this April when doing my taxes revealed that my capital gain distributions were so large i owed a good deal of money. Even though my active funds did ok or well I was almost sorry I did not own index funds.
  • What was the net? In other words, is it better to index and do worse but pay lower tax? I look at tax like expenses, totally worth it if the manager does well over time.
  • That's why the metric "After Tax Return" I think is very important.
    I believe M* and Vanguard.com may report this, but I don't see it widely reported.
    Of course each person's tax situation is different, but the After Tax Returns should tell you what their tax rate assumption is in the footnote.
  • Hey, given enough time, even the normally clueless dumb money crowd can get it together and figure out when the jig is up. But I read about this outflow somewhere else and I think most of it flowed back into their fixed income funds, i.e. a net zero change for AUM at Fidelity.
  • haha, makes sense, zero net change