Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Visiting Wall Street?

edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
We spent some time recently in New York City. Did the theaters, Central Park, Empire State. etc. But disappointed when we learned (online) that the public is no longer allowed inside the NYSE. Otherwise, we would surely have visited that area. Maybe that's in response to 9-11?

Anyway ... for future visits to NYC, are there other things worth visiting in the Wall Street area? I see theFed Reserve Bank offers tours if you make advance reservations, but we don't usually plan things out in that much detail. Just sorta do things on the fly. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I visited probably a decade ago and that whole area seemed largely off limits. The one sight in NYC that I found absolutely fascinating was the Intrepid Air/Space Museum. For those unfamiliar, it's an aircraft carrier that was turned into a museum, complete with planes on the deck. It's amazing to walk across the deck, but it also provides tremendous views of the surrounding area. Really unique/memorable experience to look out at NYC from on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Personally, if I was going to NYC tomorrow, that's the first thing that would be on my list. The Intrepid is on the Hudson, not that far W of Times Square. I guess you could call it Hell's Kitchen. Again, just one sight that I thought was a great experience that isn't talked about that much when people talk about what to see in NYC.

When you talk about the exchanges, tours will be less and less of a thing in the future, both from the standpoint of security and from the standpoint of there will be less floor trading. The Kansas City Board of Trade building was sold earlier this year and I believe that trading was either made electronic or shifted to Chicago or some of both. ICE (disclosure - long ICE as a long-term investment) has acted like the NYSE will continue to operate as it has, but who knows.

Edited to add: one thing I thought was a waste of time/money was Madame Tussauds.

• I'm a big fan of the High Line Park in NYC thehighline.org
  • For a bit of peace, quiet, and beauty--not what Wall Street is famous for, I know--check out Trinity Church, corner of Wall Street and Broadway, the oldest church in NYC. It's quite beautiful and Alexander Hamilton is buried there.
  • What about the 911 memorial museum ?
  • edited August 2014
    Appreciate all the ideas. Derf - We haven't forgotten the 9-11 memorial museum. Caught a glimpse of it from atop the Empire State Building (where you undergo metal detectors and searches similar to airports). Thanks to a fellow traveler, I was made aware you need advance reservations to visit the memorial. To be truthful, we found our first-time subway experience "challenging" but very much looking forward to doing more exploring when we get back there early next year. Will bookmark these suggestions. Regards
  • No one's yet mentioned the Museum of American Finance right on Wall Street. Beautiful building with interesting exhibits for someone who wants to learn more about financial history. And it's free on Saturdays this year.

From a room devoted to Hamilton (and statues of the Hamilton/Burr duel) to a document signed by Madoff to its current exhibit about the Fed, lots to look at. (It used to have a solid gold, diamond-studded Monopoly game, but that was gone the last time I visited.)

Continuing on the East Side (in contrast to the other suggestions), there's an unusual outdoor photography exhibit entitled New York (Outer Borough) Stories. From its description: "more than an exhibition of photographs; it is a celebration of New York, of its unique mix and diversity of people, and of the pride that defines and unites them all." Not necessarily something to go out of one's way for, but a gem to find while walking the streets in the area.

South Street Seaport (for those preferring somewhat more touristy places) is okay, but the pier portion is closed for renovation. The rest of the area is still open and has its charm.

Finally, heading slightly north from there, I've a bridge to sell you. Great views of the bridge from South Street Seaport, and great views of lower Manhattan as you walk the bridge.

Since you mentioned subways, you'll get similar views (and views of the bridge) if you take the subway over the Manhattan Bridge. Be sure to ride the BMT line (N, Q trains) - these travel the south side of the Manhattan bridge, providing the best view. (You can also glimpse the Statue of Liberty from these trains, albeit at a distance.) The Independent line (IND - B, D trains) traverse the northern side of the bridge.

P.S. - I didn't find that one needed much in the way of advance reservations to see the 9/11 Memorial. But it appears that things have changed since the museum opened. (The memorial no longer needs tickets; the museum does.)
  • Special thanks to msf for the links. I'm thinking a few hours hanging around Wall Street on the next trip might be worth it even if not allowed inside the exchange. (Might even catch a glimpse of Art Cashin coming or going:-). Regards