Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* discussion board

edited November 2011 in Off-Topic
(LAUGH!) I suppose I was too frank in posting to one of those Christine Benz-generated message-threads, just now. I went back to see if there were any responses, only to find that my own posting had been deleted. ("I want the TRUTH... You can't HANDLE the TRUTH!") So, I guess I won't be wasting any more time over there.

Comments

• I stopped visiting M* site long time ago... There is a general lack of respect for posters even for exchanging ideas. I guess that has not changed for the better.
  • Hi Max,

I think that your post used the word "r-a-p-e," which was censored inappropriately, so I responded.

Kevin
  • Let me offer an opposing viewpoint. I find the M* forums and articles that I participate in generally civil, and often (though not always) well-informed, Boggleheads® Unite being an exception, as is the vitriol between a few select participants elsewhere. The fact that those personal exchanges don't get deleted makes me wonder what Max wrote. I seriously doubt it was for what he posted above - that they can't handle the TRUTH. (Kevin's speculation without more info seems unlikely, cf. this M* thread, or if you guess that only investment threads might be carefully monitored, there's another example here.)

I still prefer their older interface (they changed a few years ago), just as I still prefer FundAlarm's simpler interface (which seemed to encourage a broader, and deeper, set of discussions than the posts here, which are often links without value-added comments, and off-topic posts).

That's not to say that I don't find value here (I wouldn't be here otherwise), or that I find nothing wrong with the M* community. But a blanket condemnation seems unwarranted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Howdy msf,

According to David, a new look is coming to MFO. I will agree, that I was more pleased with the message thread format at FA; but there are features here that are of benefit, too.
    As to the off-topic; I don't have a problem with this area. It is part of the "community" and one rarely finds anything offensive, in my opinion. The OT section is not unlike all of us meeting at the Mutual Fund Cafe, just down the road, eh?; and knowing that not all of the chat would be about funds and investing.

Take care,

Catch
  • My understanding is that he did not post in a forum. Instead he posted at a blog at the bottom of the articles. Without knowing the contents of his post it is hard to side with Max or M*. But M* has a right to remove any content that they see inappropriate. There are times that one way of expressing an idea will be considered OK and another way with offensive language will get you deleted. I have the feeling that Max's post had some words that could have been flagged by others.
  • Well, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I recall that what I wrote was far-reaching and way beyond what you'd call a "tight" essay addressing a particular topic; but my offering was a response to a specific, focused topic. I DID "let it all hang out." And I guess my contributions over there are always suspect anyhow, because of the offbeat, whacko, vulgar nickname I use over there.