Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bumper Crops Weigh On Ag ETFs

FYI: I own a 1,200 acre farm west of Dubuque, Ia. It has been in my family for close to a hundreds years on my father's side. The report I'm getting from the tenant who farm it for me is about 188 bushels of corn per acre. Years ago, in a good year, I'd yield roughly 80-100 bushels of corn per acre. Better seed chemicals, and machinery have made the difference.

It’s the start of September and harvest season is upon the U.S., but agriculture-backed exchange-traded products aren’t reaping much new money.

Ag-related products are now in the red for the year as investors grow wary about record high crop levels and easing meat supplies

http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2014/09/02/bumper-crops-weigh-on-ag-etfs/tab/print/

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Oil seen to continue downtrend.
    Brent Oil Climbs Above $101, Rebounds From 16-Month Low
    Reuters | Updated On: September 03, 2014 17:44 (IST)
    Global benchmark Brent and US crude plummeted on Tuesday, pressured by a sharp gain in the US dollar and concerns over slowing oil demand growth in China and Europe.

Brent crude was up $1.05 at $101.39 by 1125 GMT (4:55 p.m. in India) after settling at its lowest since May 1, 2013 on Tuesday. US crude traded up $1.00 at $93.88 after settling down $3.08 from Friday's close. Monday was a US holiday.

"You would expect the market to bounce after such a major downward move yesterday," said Tony Machacek, a broker at Jefferies in London. "Fundamentally, the oil market is well supplied and the indications are prices are still in a downtrend."
    http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industries/article-oil-climbs-above-101-rebounds-from-16-month-low-658574

PS Ted,when's your I P O ?

Gladstone Land Corp(NASDAQ:LAND
    Gladstone Land Corporation is an externally-managed real estate company formed to invest in farmland located in agricultural markets throughout the United States. The Company’s farmland is concentrated in locations where tenants are able to grow annual row crops

Glyndon Park/Seeking Alpha
    Emerging Themes In Alternative Investments: Farmland As An Asset Class Part I
    Sep. 1, 2014 10:23 AM ET http://seekingalpha.com/article/2463295-emerging-themes-in-alternative-investments-farmland-as-an-asset-class-part-i

Farmland Partners Inc
    (NYSEMKT: FPI)
    Farmland Partners Inc., is an internally managed real estate company that owns and seeks to acquire primary row crop farmland located in agricultural markets throughout North America. The majority of the farms in its portfolio are devoted to primary row crops, such as corn and soybeans

I own LAND. VERY VOLATILE ! !
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I bought some corn from local vendor two weeks ago. 6 for $3, or 13 for $5.25. I,ll give you one guess which deal I made.
    Way to score Mo !!!
    Derf
  • edited September 2014
    Ag Growth International (AGGZF.PK) - a Canadian company (pays nice monthly div) that makes silos and other such containers - has done really well as a result of a bumper crop that isn't getting to market. Railroads have a lot to ship, to the point where the Canadians have mandated that railroads ship x amount per week. ADM has done well. Some ag companies are doing well as a result of this, some not.

I will say I think rails are overvalued, but I also said that 10-15% ago.
  • Ted where is your spread located from field of dreams? If I may ask!!
  • edited September 2014
    -
  • @Gary: The farm is located north of Epworth, a little more than half way between Dubuque and Dyersville.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.dubuquecounty.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=l_5MpQakit0=&tabid=193
  • Thanks Ted I enjoy looking at maps. I use Google Maps to look at places I have been and places people tell me about. Lot of overseas maps leave a lot to be desired. (Crimea and Ukraine) Also Google maps are several years behind. Cheap entertainment and no jet lag. Cost is minimal for me.