Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee September 2014
  • hank September 2014
  • scott September 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fed's Kocherlakota: US interest rates are not low enough

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101974758

Translation: Bend over savers and seniors.

"citing subdued inflation"

LOL. Must be nice to feel it seems that way.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Fed speak is just that, We used to call it jawboning. Both senireos are bad, but I think inflation would hit seniors harder than deflation - at first anyway.

Just added a sliver to my dollar hedges (commodities and local currency EMs). Took that from couple well performing balanced funds. Insurance down the road I feel. FWIW

Damned these spell checkers. "Fed Speak" showed up as "Ford Speak" at first. And sliver as silver until I corrected! :)
  • beebee
    edited September 2014
    Will this newly proposed round of "EU-QE" (Central Bank of Europe) provide an additional mechanism for what Kathleen Gaffney (of Eaton Vance Bond Fund) calls the new "carry trade" to ramp up?

This carry trade strategy (as I understand it) involves buying US Treasuries with borrowed money from lower rate countries and capturing the yield spread. So long as there is a buyer for our bonds (other than the Fed) and inflation remains subdued; raising interest rates might not be in the cards just yet. Until real economic growth returns and QE interventions stop interest rates on Sovereign debt (including US treasury bonds) are more likely to fall than rise.

For US Treasury mutual fund bond investors, falling interest rates results in price appreciation in their bond funds.

This link is a nice primer on bonds (I am still a freshman at Bond U):
    How Bond Market Pricing Works
  • bee said:

Will this newly proposed round of "EU-QE" (Central Bank of Europe) provide an additional mechanism for what Kathleen Gaffney (of Eaton Vance Bond Fund) calls the new "carry trade" to ramp up?

This carry trade strategy (as I understand it) involves buying US Treasuries with borrowed money from lower rate countries and capturing the yield spread. So long as there is a buyer for our bonds (other than the Fed) and inflation remains subdued; raising interest rates might not be in the cards just yet. Until real economic growth returns and QE interventions stop interest rates on Sovereign debt (including US treasury bonds) are more likely to fall than rise.

For US Treasury mutual fund bond investors, falling interest rates results in price appreciation in their bond funds.

This link is a nice primer on bonds (I am still a freshman at Bond U):
    How Bond Market Pricing Works

I would agree that yields will remain low for longer (and possibly much longer) than thought. However, I'd rather be in real assets with a yield (oil royalities, real estate, etc etc) than government paper if that's the case.