Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SCMFX or DHMCX?

Any reason you would choose one over the other? I was really impressed with David's write-up about SCMFX from a few years ago and I like the more reasonable expense ratio, but the performance and volatility are very close to one another. The downside in 2008 was very similar. DHMCX has 6 times more AUM and 62 holdings rather than 35 but neither is running into any issues with size. Or is there another small/mid-cap value leaning fund you'd prefer? Many of the others I'm aware of and find appealing (relatively focused portfolios, smaller AUM, manager with a really good record, good alpha as I'm not so worried about volatility except in the extreme, reasonable expenses) are closed.

Comments

• LL,

This is a tough space to fill...one that I struggle with as well. I'm linking 2 threads on this same issue. SCMFX plus VASVX are the options I've narrowed it down to.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide,

Press

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/5469/small-and-mid-cap-fund-recommendations#latest

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/13679/help-requested-sc-mc-value-funds#latest
  • I would not worry about style boxes. Spend time drilling and researching the managers. You are hiring managers, not buying funds. Value, blend, growth...these can and do morph over time.
  • Thanks for the help @PRESSmUP and @BobC!!

The previous posts were spirited as always and its clear there are a variety of opinions. VASVX was on my list as well but I was turned off a little by the AUM and the large-cap growth exposure as well, which is certainly not what I'm looking for.

I agree being comfortable with the manager is a top criteria, but the style box is of some, not all, importance to me as well because my specific objective at the moment is to shift my allocation a bit more towards value.

Right now I'm leaning towards SCMFX but I still have some time to do more research so if I stumble on anything I like more I'll post it.
  • Conversant (CNVR), formerly Valueclick, largest SCMFX holding as of 6-30, +31.45% pre-market agrees to be acquired by Alliance Data. Yes, I do own SCMFX.
  • Congratulations! That should make it a very good day for SCMFX!
  • @LLJB: "SCMFX or DHMCX?" Neither use IJH in the mid-cap space.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted, thanks, it's a reasonable choice and one I've added to my analysis. I'm not much of an indexer in most cases but this might be a reasonable exception. It worries me a little to read that IJH is 96% correlated with the S&P 500 and 98% correlated with M*'s small cap index over the last decade and maybe that adds a new question to the thought process.
  • edited September 2014
    You should consider WSVRX (The "other" Walthausen fund that is still open). "Low" AUM, focused, aggressive.