Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How many 3-alarm funds do you own?

Here are mine

HSGFX - Still holding. Consider it SINGLE investment along with HSTRX. So together not losing money, but I'm not ignoring it.

PGMDX - Was actually going to sell because of El Erian and not because of El Erian leaving. Now I'm holding because of Mihir Vorah. In my IRA.

SIRIX - To me this is a cash substitute. In my IRA.

BULLX - Have held it for LOOOONNGGG time. However prompted me to look. What happened to heavy manager investment? Manager's getting older, selling stakes in their funds needs to be watched carefully. And I will.

Comments

• I would not hold on to a 3 alarm fund myself. I think that is the point of the alarm, to help an investor eliminate the emotional attachment smell the roses.
  • @MikeM: I glad you said it, instead of me. I blame it on the medications for holding 3-Alarm Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I was in a 3 alarm fire once...but I got OUT
  • Tampabay said:

I was in a 3 alarm fire once...but I got OUT

Tampabay,

Could you share with us which fund?

Mona

• Mona, Can't hide, but glad your graduating from Vanguard groupies; when the forum went south, Dan's no real help, I Know all Vanguard has to offer so, this could be a information source...we will see
  • @Tampabay: " Dan's no real help, you mean Dan Dan The Vanguard Man (Dan Weiner)
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2014
    One ... QRAAX, which is probably a 5 alarm fund:)

I own it and like it going forward. (Please don't ask me to explain why.) My biggest concern is that at now under $100 mil in assets, Oppenheimer might shut it down or merge it into something else before commodities enter their next bull market. It's so hard to run against the current now days.

• As I recall, VWELX ended up, briefly, on Roy's 3-Alarm list. And certainly I have owned others that spent a brief period on the dunce seat. I do not regard it as a reason to sell.
  • Calling all Quack Doctors. Hush!!!

Now then, 3-alarm funds if I understand correctly are compared against returns for its category. I surmise someday because of this even RPHYX will become one. Who's going to sell when that happens?

One needs to look into why one bought a fund before selling. 3-alarm is a flag. I wouldn't rush into buying one that was already a 3-alarm. However I'm not going to sell just because fund I owned became a 3-alarm fund.

The is the Vintage Freak, and I approve this message.
  • Ted said:

@MikeM: I glad you said it, instead of me. I blame it on the medications for holding 3-Alarm Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted

If there was a pill for you, it would be a blockbuster drug.
  • Ted... Yea Dan the Man (Weiner), he's ok IF your pretty green in mutual funds, his portfolios of Vanguard funds do pretty good over time, he does promote his favorite fund managers and kinda avoids some solid funds. You can shop around and gets his newsletter and information for $99 year. It was a start for me in mutual Funds many moons ago,now I'm bored