Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I was thinking about pulling up your link, then I thought, there are lots of lazy ways of investing..think I'll stay away from them, I want someone working with my money..no indexes please..to you your own...
  • Tampabay: I would highly recommend this simple portfolio to any new fund investor. You need to ceawl before you can walk.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Interesting that John Bogle personally does not own any international stock funds. He feels that the overseas earnings of the large cap US stocks is sufficient international diversification.

Also, he no longer believes that the Total Bond Index is sufficient. He feels that it has way too much in US Government bonds, that the index itself is flawed, and that one should put a healthy dose into a short or intermediate term, investment grade corporate bond index fund.
  • FTBFX !

Waggoner too has often written about little need to hold international mutual funds, and for the same reason.
  • edited September 2014
  • Right. It has significantly trounced VBMFX for every period since it was founded, 12y ago. It did have a stomach-jumping dip fall 08 to summer 09, which the Vanguard fund did not have. But that's what you typically get with Fidelity, at its best anyway, a rockin' funds shop with longterm outperformance. I never understand why anyone compares the two outfits, really.