Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Video of first iPhone bought in Perth.

This kid showed up at the Apple Store the day before, slept outside overnight and was the first in line to buy the iPhone 6. Guess what happens next.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhXOgJ8ahA

Comments

• @John Chisum: Please !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Please what?

• Saw that video, felt bad for the kid.

I think the main story for Apple this morning is this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/line-for-iphone-6-2014-9

This is the map of the line in NYC for the iPhone 6 this morning:

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/541c15ec69bedddd51834890-1049-787/iphone-6-line-map.png

I think my problem is that I'm one of those people who doesn't want to carry around a $700 gadget. I hate having something that I have to constantly be delicate with - not that I'm rough with my current phone or anything, but if something happens to my Nexus 5, I can probably find a refurb one for $200 and it was $350 to begin with. It would make me upset, but it wouldn't make me as upset as if something happened to my $700 phone - something exactly like what happened to the kid mentioned above.

Additionally, Samsung gets all the discussion when it comes to Android, but Google and the Nexus line really is the best kept secret. Stock Android without all the bloatware, plus cheaper price tag for feature-rich phones and you get operating system updates when they come out (which you don't if you have a Samsung, it all depends on your mobile carrier.)

• I know what you mean @scott. In somewhat the same example I alway enjoy the design and functional beauty of these iPhones and especially the 6 now. But for safety sake I purchase a case to hide the beauty but protect the phone. Our house has hard tile floors. I like the Tech21 cases and in particular the Impact Mesh.

My iPhone 4s with glass front and back is really vulnerable. Thank goodness for the case.
  • edited September 2014
    Sad and hilarious at the same time:

http://www.businessinsider.com/get-the-iphone-6-with-no-line-2014-9

People waited in line at the NYC Apple Store as long as two weeks or slightly more. There are videos of lines at Apple stores as of last night that go on for blocks and people had to wait outside overnight. People could go to an AT & T store not far away and barely have a wait at all. The video above starts off interviewing people who have been in the NYC line for days or weeks, then the interviewer heads to a couple of radio shacks (which haven't gotten their shipment) before going to an AT & T store where the wait is.... 11 minutes.

• As a tax payer, not so hilarious. Nobody gainfully employed has that amount of time to waste.
  • edited September 2014
    sid007 said:

As a tax payer, not so hilarious. Nobody gainfully employed has that amount of time to waste.

No Sid. 007 wouldn't approve, even with all those free gadgets he gets every movie.

I'm sure you don't mean it that way. There are a lot of people of who work very hard even in the United States. They don't have that much to show for it. They make so little you don't really want them to pay taxes. Besides, this is just a kid who's lucky his mom/pop has the money to buy him an iPhone. OR maybe he did worked his summers in McDonalds and saved all his money for this day.

As a tax payer myself - as if that means anything - I wish people who feel as incensed about those people who don't pay any taxes, or at most pay less than their secretaries, are directly responsible for reducing tax paying population, and probably directly connected to Tim Cook, who might as well have personally delivered the latest iPhone 6 to their residence before it even retailed anywhere.

Finally, everything remaining the same, there is absolutely NOTHING funny about dropping something worth $600(?) with the possibility it could have become a paperweight. If nothing else, a lot of work went into creating that phone.
  • No, not at all what I meant. I guess this thread got intertwined with 2 different stories. I was commenting on the phenomenon of people lining up for weeks to buy a phone (i.e. the businessinsider link). The waste of human capital that could be doing something productive, for themselves as well as for society.
  • edited September 2014
    sid007 said:

No, not at all what I meant. I guess this thread got intertwined with 2 different stories. I was commenting on the phenomenon of people lining up for weeks to buy a phone (i.e. the businessinsider link). The waste of human capital that could be doing something productive, for themselves as well as for society.

Now THAT I couldn't agree more with. People cannot understand difference between "legal" and "moral" without getting religious and are confused between what they NEED vs what they WANT. Speaking of productivity, I would rate time spent on Facebook day in day out way higher than that on Apple Product Launches, while I totally share your sentiment. I'm anti social (sic) by choice.
  • A followup story reports that the iPhone that was dropped was not damaged. That kid better buy a case though.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/61369909/iphone-6-passes-drop-test.html