Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• For me, "bitcoins" has to be at the top of this list.
  • As an honorable mention, I'll throw in the new hoax going around the internet that people can charge their new iPhone by putting it in the microwave and apparently some people are believing it.
  • edited September 2014
    Good list. We received dozens of recorded messages for that #1 on the list ("a loved one has arranged for you to receive one of our health alert monitors at no cost to you ...blah...blah...blah". Ignored all for the obvious reasons. Another scam we get alot is that somebody has arranged for our free hearing exam. What a bunch of crap (our hearing is excellent). It's especially sad that they seem to target seniors with this junk - as many are quite vulnerable.

World seems to be getting more dangerous. 60-Minutes Sunday covered the ballooning tax rebate scam using stolen social security numbers - a rampant problem.
  • Few I haven't heard, so I thought a worthwhile pass on info.
  • Another popular one is "I'm from Microsoft and I'm calling because your computer has a problem". They call from a call center in India, claiming to be a Microsoft technician, and they have identified a major problem on your computer that needs to be fixed now.

I've been called twice this year with this scam.
  • edited September 2014
    In my neck of the woods the scam going on is someone calling saying I own money to the federal government, the caller impersonates a real cop at local police station. Everything but the phone number left to call back is someone else. Even the caller id is spoofed, so it says police department.

By the way, on weekends late afternoon, when I'm particularly bored I actually have fun with telemarketers. Sometimes I will try my French on them. I don't know a word of it, but neither do they, and hey, they called me. You all should try it some time. "Me no speak English" is a good deterrent to not receiving telemarketing calls.

I've never got a call from India. However I'm sure you could google some sanskrit and have a ball.
  • @VintageFreak, You do know that when you pick up the phone to answer a telemarketer that call is time stamped so they know when you are home. They share that info of course so you will get even more telemarketing calls.
  • @VintageFreak, You do know that when you pick up the phone to answer a telemarketer that call is time stamped so they know when you are home. They share that info of course so you will get even more telemarketing calls.

I see what you are saying. I only pick up the phone when caller id is not obviously telling me it is a telemarketer. Also, as I said, I'm quite unpredictable as to when I pick up the phone, so any ANALysis they are doing at their end to guess when I'm home will fail badly. When I said I do it for entertainment purposes, I've first exhausted all normal forms of entertainment.

One thing I can definitely tell you without naming a popular company calling me again and again, is my French has most certainly stopped them from calling me. My voicemail box does not fill up anymore because of them.

Getting back to your point, I have not signed up for the "Do not call list" for similar reason. If I do, I'm actually providing information saying MY number is a residential number prompting more calls than normal. I'm not sure what people's experience is with this. For people I know, the calls still keep coming because merchants you deal with (all card companies are notorious) also share your address. If they can't call you, they will email or snailmail you.
  • Scams needing better actors:
    "Uh, yeah, this is John from shipping."

(On the general topic of security, the Keep Me Signed In box on MFO sign-in should be an opt in, not an opt out.)

@VintageFreak: I signed up for the "Do Not Call" list, and I do think the garbage calls decreased markedly. I still get 2 or 3 weird, and repeated, calls mispronouncing my state's name, but as I only check voice mail once a week, I delete everything swiftly.
  • edited September 2014
    We used to play games to eat up their time. I'd say: "Yes, he's home, but he's up on the roof working ... I'll go get him" and than lay the phone down to waste their time. But, it gets to be stale after a while. Finally. we bought a call blocker from Amazon which works very well. The phone rings once on unwanted callers and than hangs up. Soon, they get the idea and stop bugging you. Can't wait to use it in the upcoming political season. We've already programmed it to block everything with a Washington DC area code.
  • Our family used to do that too but the number of calls grew to the point that it was a nuisance. Like most, we started using call ID and the answering machine to screen calls. Last time I was home the average was around six calls a day. The do not call services are not totally inclusive of all telemarketers and has to be renewed periodically.

When I was growing up it was door to door salesmen but not at those numbers.