Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is Apple out to change fashion?

Bigger pockets will be the next big thing. The media circus is focused on Bendgate.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-09-24/is-your-iphone-bending-get-bigger-pants

I watched Bloomberg West and should not be surprised that Corey Johnson is so biased against Apple. As these phones get bigger the issues like this will be more common. Cargo pants just may be the way to go.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Maybe Apple can make iPants. It's a little surprising to me that Apple hasn't gone in this route. Maybe they eventually will, given the fact that the former Burberry CEO is running retail for them. I can absolutely imagine a collaboration between Apple and say, North Face.

Nothing against Apple at all, but is there an element where "form over function" crosses the line with bendgate?

I use my Nexus 5 near-constantly (it's sitting next to me as I write this, no less), I'm careful with it but I don't want something that I have to be ultra-delicate with. Do you get to a point where a company makes an ultra-thin phone so thin to the point that they have to beef up materials and in this case Apple didn't? I don't know how much effort is required to bend the thing, but I'd be a little surprised if normal having it in your pocket noticeably bends it.

I've always said that Apple would do huge business if they built a phone geared towards the outdoors. Waterproof, rugged exterior, enhanced maps/gps apps, thermometer and other features. Ads would be easy - people taking it into the wilderness and through the city streets. "iPhone: Outdoors: Built for Work and Play."

All that said, a case will make bendgate a non-concern, but I'm guessing a fair amount of people don't use a case for their iPhone.

I use the 2-part Ballistic cases (available on Amazon) and won't buy anything else.

Humor:

Apple's new U2-Removal Service

• Only fanatics will stand in a line for a new phone. More sensible people will order it online. I agree that in striving to be thin and light they may have reached a point where it's not going to work. New materials? One can only get so thin anyway, then it becomes uncomfortable to handle.

I have seen people with their phones in their back pocket. Not something I would do.
  • edited September 2014

I have seen people with their phones in their back pocket. Not something I would do.

lol, mine's always in my back pocket. I trust (iTrust, Apple's eventual bank?) the case.

Company's still very reasonable despite the run in shares recently. 14 forward p/e.
  • That must be some case.
  • edited September 2014
    http://www.amazon.com/BALLISTIC-Tough-Jacket-Apple-iPhone/dp/B00L3TQRJ0/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1411646066&sr=1-5&keywords=Ballistic+iphone+6

I'm not sure how to edit the link so that MFO gets credit, but this is the iPhone 6 version, they have cases for most phones. The cases are actually two parts that click together, a very hard plastic piece (sides and back) and a very dense rubber piece (which you can see in the corners and part of the sides. The case also comes out a little bit further than the face of the phone, so if the phone was dropped and landed flat, it's not just the screen getting impact. They make some lighter/lesser variations for some phones, but their main product is to the point where I'd never get another case, personally.
  • Frankly, people shouldn't be putting phones in their back pockets. I'm hardly defending apple, but if you put your phone, any phone, in your back pocket, then you should have two reasons. A flat bum. And regardless, don't sit down with phone in your pocket. If it breaks and hard drive goes into your bum, its your fault.
  • edited September 2014
    I don't sit on my phone but I walk around with it in my back pocket and have fallen on it in the winter in my back pocket and phone was just fine. Obviously not comfortable to sit one but with the case I have I think it would be fine.
  • Just saw video linked above in the article. It is alluding to the fact people actually carry it in their front pocket. Hmm...
    t
    Seems like we have a choice of whether part of the phone bend and stick into our peewee or our bum. The fairer sex I'm sure for the most part carry it in their purposes, or phone purses (those fat cases with zippered pockets)

I think the iPhone "holster" industry needs a serious plug. Everyone please stop carry your stupid smart phones in your pockets. You crave bigger screens is fine, but that does not mean other parts of your body have proportionately increased in length in anticipation. I call this Dumbgate.
  • @scott, that looks like a good heavy duty case. Otter Box style. Thanks for the link.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2014
    JohnC, Did you ever get the IOS 8 installed? Sounds like they're having a heap of problems. Have couple to do myself. Umm ... Some reports of Apps crashing after install because developers haven't upgraded yet. Hope all went well for you.
  • I did get 8 installed the following day. 8.01 was the update that had issues and it was pulled before I knew it was out.

So far 8 is working fine but I do notice some slowness on my 4s. That is probably due to the older phone rather than the system itself.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2014
    Apple has released iOS 8.0.2. So far no reports of issues. I will update later.

I watched Bloomberg West again this morning. Again the focus was on Apple. Not much news I guess even though the markets took a hit. The other big story on BW was the possibility that it would rain on Derek Jeter's last game at Yankee stadium. I guess you have to be a New Yorker to understand.
  • Downloaded and installed 8.0.2. So far no problems and my speed issues have disappeared.
  • i never upgraded to even 7. Still on 6 something. Doing it now...