Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q&A with new managers of PIMCO total return

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Hmmm.

I'd be surprised if this announcement helps stem redemptions.

I suspect that folks drawn to the flagship because of legendary money manager Bill Gross will not be equally drawn to management by committee, as qualified as they may be.

Will be interesting to watch.

Honestly, wish they would or could have appointed someone like PM. These same three folks might still have done the heavy lifting, but PIMCO needs a name at the top that stakeholders can both recognize and trust.

It's one of largest funds in the world.

Warrants pulling out all stops to preserve.

How PIMCO and Allianz manage this one is about as profound as it gets in this biz.

Initial reaction: Think this move is a tactical, if not strategic, mistake.

c
  • Tactical or Strategic, I don't think PIMCO had an option. First, they shouldn't have made it obvious to Gross they would be firing him. They should have had more sense. Second, they already moved toward the "invest by committee" approach, so they were committed to that line of thinking. Not using multi manager approach and going with single manager for PTTRX would not necessarily have been a better option. It takes a lot for one person to fill Gross sized shoes, both literally and figuratively.

One thing PIMCO did mess up IMO, is not having Ivascyn on PTTRX as one of the 3. He is now the voice of PIMCO. He should have been on its flagship fund. "Team" and everything is fine. There are drawbacks to "team" and "individual" approach. "Team" "works" - as M* keeps alleging at American - where each manager gets his own slice to do what he wishes with it. I don't think that's what they are doing at PIMCO with "Team". Or they should maybe do that indicating, the best of breed manager is managing his assets based on his expertise.

All In All, right now the score is Gross 5, PIMCO 0.
  • Allianz has failed horribly in this whole mess. It is reported that the head office had to call to verify that Gross had jumped ship.