Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Asia Markets Update.

edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
A sea of red over here today. Taking cue from the walloping in the US. markets. Australia trade is still negative and the miners are getting hit.

China has just this morning announced all tours to Hong Kong are cancelled in light of the protests. An attempt to squelch the protestors but I doubt it will work. Numbers of protestors are estimated in the high six figures to low seven figures. Most govt and banks are still closed or reduced capacity.

Democracy as we know already is a messy business. That old adage of the Tree of Liberty comes to mind.

Anyone else think we are at the start of a bear market here?

Comments

• http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-30/traders-turn-up-grilling-sausages-at-hong-kong-protests.html

This is a great act on the part of the money traders and those who donated money and time to help the youngsters. They are going to need more sausages.
  • Thanks for posting these JohnChisum and keeping us up to date.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for the update.

Someday there will be a correction. Is this the beginning? Don't know. But maybe. Over history, stock market sell-offs of 5, 10 or 20% are fairly common.

Too late at night to go into very deep analysis. But as you know, markets are all interconnected. What happens in one asset class, sector or geographical area affects others.
  • I am sure nobody has that crystal ball. If they do call it there had to be some amount of luck involved.

The Australia mining slowdown is a damper for sure. The Japan tax hike has some cautious. The U.S. economy is not on all cylinders despite some reports. It feels like a global downturn and usually something big like this Fannie and Freddie issue exasperates it. If the Christmas shopping season is slow then that could be another factor.

Well, too much to worry about and too many worries. It's nice and warm here on the sea and other than the fact my water pump gave out this morning it is a glorious day. Have to have some optimism otherwise life would be a real B.
  • edited October 2014
    Yep - I think what is confounding us is the unprecedented role of the central banks including the Fed in all of this. It's longer enough just to look at the big global picture as you've done and draw logical conclusions. Now we have to speculate on what the banks may do tomorrow.

I think that, whether they meant to or not, they've fostered in world markets a certain dependency on them.

• Thanks for the update. Wish the demonstrations were getting more play in the U.S. media.
  • @mrdarcey, I'm surprised at that too. I can probably guess the Ebola patient in Dallas is top news at the moment. But this is a important story as well. Over here it is the top story.
  • edited October 2014

@mrdarcey, I'm surprised at that too. I can probably guess the Ebola patient in Dallas is top news at the moment. But this is a important story as well. Over here it is the top story.

Ebola and Secret Service. I'm guessing markets might get some play if we start really melting down.

HK is moving up the columns. Finally getting leader status now on WaPo and NYTimes. But next to nothing on Turkey and Syria, and the current military actions in Iraq. Ukraine is now forgotten.

*shakeshead*

edit: How could I forget? UVA missing student big as well.
  • Funny thing, I don't watch too much news from the U.S. I browse the web and watch news on ABC Australia, NHK, and a bit of the local news here. Bloomberg is my financial source since its the only financial channel on the cable. Most of the U.S. news comes from Fox.

First I've heard of the missing student.
  • I live in the DC market, so I might be getting more of it than the rest of the nation.
  • @JohnChisum, are you looking at the weakness in Asia as a short-term problem that creates a buying opportunity or a problem that could hang around for a longer time and cause bigger problems for the markets there?
  • mrdarcey said:

@mrdarcey, I'm surprised at that too. I can probably guess the Ebola patient in Dallas is top news at the moment. But this is a important story as well. Over here it is the top story.

Ebola and Secret Service. I'm guessing markets might get some play if we start really melting down.
    Long ECL (Ecolab)

May add to Hutchison Whampoa in HK if Hong Kong gets worse.
  • edited October 2014
    Europe got slammed. U.S. turning around. The FVP people will have a good time today.
    I guess Christine Lagarde head of IMF tossed some cold water on markets this morning.

("FVP" = fair value pricing. Corrected earlier goof.)
  • @LLJB and others;

The police did show up with riot gear and tear gas but only for show. Zerohedge is a bit off on the numbers. The 200k figure is probably the number around the govt offices. The protestors have several groups along the Causeway and in Central where the high end shops are.

I think this is short term. The second in command at HK govt had agreed to speak to the students and they are okay with that. Japan is nervous about the tax hike but if the economy does gain then those worries will go away. The Nikky was down 2.6% yesterday. There are some if's in the equation but it seems this will blow over. It might be interesting to see if the markets rebound to previous highs or not.

Finally a large typhoon is being a pest on this side of the Pacific. Japan is looking at a direct hit for most of the country. The storm is so big that most population centers will experience heavy rains and wind. I would expect the Tokyo and Osaka markets to shut maybe early next week.