Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Funds: 3 Biggest Loosers Of 3Q

TedTed
edited October 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Identifying the worst funds of the quarter can be just as meaningful as identifying the best funds.
Regards,
Ted
http://investorplace.com/2014/10/worst-mutual-funds-q3/print

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Removed comment and moving to right place.
  • VF, I'm not seeing what you are apparently seeing. Seems like an okay article to me. Just giving some of the worst performing funds in poor performing sectors, small caps, commodities and EM bonds. I'm missing the Allianz mouth piece thing.

Anyway, you heard it here first, Bills will upset the Lions today, 27-24.
  • If someone is judging a mutual fund based on one quarter they should not be investing in funds at all. One quarter is just a blink of an eye.
  • Investors buy and sell stocks everyday based on a companies performance every 90 days(Quarter) Maybe funds OUGHT to be put under the same scrutiny
  • Stocks have to be monitored constantly so yes, you could sell after a bad quarter if the forecast looked bad beyond that. If you believe in the company that bad quarter could be a buying opportunity.

If you are selling a fund based on one bad quarter then you might be in the wrong kind of fund. Also, a lot of fund companies are attaching short term trading fees. If one wants to trade in and out then ETFs make a better choice.
  • MikeM said:

VF, I'm not seeing what you are apparently seeing. Seems like an okay article to me. Just giving some of the worst performing funds in poor performing sectors, small caps, commodities and EM bonds. I'm missing the Allianz mouth piece thing.

Anyway, you heard it here first, Bills will upset the Lions today, 27-24.

I think my tablet went haywire. This reply was intended for article regarding Gross' exit from PIMCO and people getting surprised.