Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Not many friends today at 11am

edited November 2011 in Off-Topic
At this rate, only our bond funds which hold TIPs and long dated Treasury's will have some value and/or support.

Was a think'in that the old portfolio would be reviewed this coming weekend for allocation
changes; as I'm not assured Santa will present any kind of rally before year's end.

As things continue to move along I will not be getting a benchmark bonus payout this year
for the efforts; although I suppose "our benchmarks" could still be beaten by finishing the
year with a low postive or slightly negative return.........not much consolation with this.

As noted a few months ago regarding HY/HI and patterns over the past two years, that
generally these would retreat 1/3% for every 1% in the broad equity market. This trend is
now moving closer and closer to parity. This doesn't bode well for perceived credit and risk
as related to this sector; nor the reflection upon the equity sectors.

VTI 60.04 -1.59%
BND 83.65 -0.07%
GDX 55.44 -2.81%
HYG 83.68 -0.70%
JNK 36.78 -0.59%
EMB 107.02 -0.51%
LQD 110.80 -0.54%
IEF 104.92 -0.09%
TIP 116.73 +0.12%
TLT 121.87 +0.50%

The smell is getting worse.

Take care of you and yours,

Catch

Comments

• Hi john,

Thank you for your time in mentioning PRHSX. I recall Ted being in and out of this holding.

Its sector, along with utilities and consumer staples areas have held up this year. These are
    the defensive equity plays that are connected to overall problem areas of economies, not unlike the continued flows of monies into certain bond funds.

While I will not dismiss this fund in the long run, I don't know that even the defensive equity
    sector is going to hold in the coming months. We also have several health care sector choices with Fido select funds and would likely stay in house with these; as they are right in the profit mix with PRHSX, YTD.

Viewing short term (6 month) equity potentials and the Supreme Court review (March, 2012) of the 26 states petition against certain mandates of the healthcare plan, we will likely stay away from this sector for the time being.

Thank you again, take care and you and yours enjoy the holiday period.

Catch