Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q&A With Bill Nygren, Oakmark Funds: Banks A Safer Place To Invest Today: Video Presentation

FYI: The Oakmark manager on what attracted him to financials, plus the benefits of bringing a private-equity perspective to public-equity investing
Regards,
Ted
http://www.morningstar.com/cover/videocenter.aspx?id=666855

Comments

• Oh, good Lord (or whoever) have mercy! Here we go again, justifying investments in criminal banking enterprises, who continue to use accounting gimmickry (FASB rule 157) to hide a bunch of 2008 toxic debt they still hold, and who continue to be caught manipulating just about every market of any significance, after doing it for over a decade. Your investments in them support them in these endeavors; what kind of a world do you want?

Get out ALL the shovels 'cause it looks like, with Oakmark, we're gonna need 'em--- it's getting so deep. "Private equity perspective"---- oh, pulleeze!
  • @heezsafe: Tell us how you really feel !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited October 2014
    @Ted Sorry, was that a little too harsh? It's just that I expected better from Oakmark, and find it all quite disappointing. And it doesn't help I'm having one of those "global disgusted" kind of days. It's a very pleasant afternoon outside; maybe I should go rake some leaves and get back in touch with my inner agape.:) [and spare everyone from me until a better me returns]
  • The problem with being critical with respect to OAKLX: $10 invested in this fund at inception now became $98, whereas the same $10 invested in S&P 500 during the same time became $39.