Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stiglitz Worried About the Global Economy.

Professor Stiglitz makes his worries known and also his thoughts on a rate increase.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102076504

Comments

• edited October 2014
    You mean ZIRP and trillions in QE didn't create something sustainable while you have a congress that wouldn't agree that 1+1 = 2? lol.

"Asked whether the world's largest economy will be strong enough to justify an interest rate hike by mid-2015, he said "almost surely no."

This. The Fed may legitimately want out of the QE and ZIRP game, but I think there is a real chance it isn't happening anytime soon in terms of rates. If things sink enough, it wouldn't shock me to see QE back.

In the meantime, years of intervention and distortion (QE, ZIRP, etc) have created a mentality now where when the market is down 4-5%, people view it as apocalyptic. "What is this red on the screen, that's not supposed to be there, I thought?"
  • edited October 2014
    Your topic line is somewhat sensational..as was the CNBC tag. The article conveys a balanced message and the Professor did not say he was "worried".

I am annoyed with CNBC reportage these past few days...
  • @scott, you say better than I ever could. I am worried of the mentality that investors are dependent on the Fed to act when the markets drop. This is not just the US either. Stocks are supposed to just go up, are they not? {sarc}