Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Time to shine for "alternative" funds

edited October 2014 in Fund Discussions
I think we are getting to the point where L/S fund need to start earning their keep. I'm monitoring the following funds.

BPRRX
BGRSX
ARLSX
RLSFX
RSAFX
LSOFX
WBMAX
WBLSX
TFSMX
TFSSX
PMHDX
WMCNX
IRONX
NLSAX
NABAX
OTCRX
MASNX
RNBWX
GDAMX
PFSDX

Comments

• I have SWHEX on the watch list.
  • edited October 2014
    If you expect alternative funds to reposition themselves suddenly in order to take advantage of a 4-5% drop, you are going to be disappointed with a lot of L/S funds that are already mostly long. These aren't hedge funds and they aren't going to be that nimble. If this volatility lasts through the end of the year, then it becomes how do these funds fare after 3-6 month period of volatility.

I will say, despite my reluctance to be in anything Pimco, I'm rather fascinated by the performance of their new Managed Futures fund, which has actually done better this year than one of the largest managed futures hedge funds and has had performance that is vastly superior to the category.
  • @scott, are you referring to the 130/30 funds which are typically leveraged for returns?
  • edited October 2014

@scott, are you referring to the 130/30 funds which are typically leveraged for returns?

I guess the idea is more that I would not expect a long/short fund to change - or be nimble enough - to take advantage of a 4-5% correction. A mutual fund isn't going to change in dramatic fashion because of what has happened over the last week, in other words. If this lasts months, then you may see movement and then you can look at results. It's just too short-term at this point to - I think - see major shifts in a fund's allocation.

As for the Managed Futures category, which has not done well broadly over the last few years but is something I'd not expect a moonshot from on a good year, to have a fund like Pimco's new one get double digit returns and be ahead of the category by more than 10% is certainly compelling, although the fund's prospectus language is very broad and doesn't give me a sense of the difference in this fund vs other MF funds. I will say that the Pimco fund has outperformed a large managed futures hedge fund - whether or not that continues, who knows - but I find it rather impressive.
  • Okay thanks.
  • @JohnChisum I hold a position in the PIMCO Managed Futures fund PQTDX I haven't read or heard anything about PIMCO that would persuade me to sell or reduce this holding. But, aside from PIMCO, managed futures aren't for everyone.

Bill Gross departed PIMCO two weeks ago and, for my purposes, life goes on.
  • Let me clarify what I meant by "monitor". I'm trying to ask questions to myself and answer them to see if these are candidates worthy of purchase. I already own some of these, so it makes sense to go see what you thought about the fund doing for you and whether you screwed up .

For example, I've been toying with RNBWX. So today I'm asking myself this question: How does a fund with 3 quarters of its assets in cash, strategy of using options for protection, still happen to drop 1.36% yesterday?

Another example. LSOFX. Is this simply another fund like CGMFX, which except for trading more frequently, is simply making upside and downside bets, instead of actually managing risk in any meaningful way. In other words, is this simply another fund like which can screw up on the long positions AND short positions and actually end up performing worse than any long only or short only fund? With 1 third of assets in cash it still managed to lose 2% yesterday.

Finally, are funds like TFSMX, WMCNX, WBMAX, etc. really the kind of funds you want to be invested in rather than PMHDX or ARLSX or RLSFX?
  • I have SWHEX on the watch list.

You know instead of SWHEX, I am looking to RNBWX and IRONX
  • I wouldn't sell anything Pimco right now. They are better off IMO.

My question regarding long-short funds was dealing with the fact that there are many variations of the funds. I hold ACDJX which is 130/30 but uses the short side to leverage returns. I don't expect this type of fund to hold up well in a bear scenario and it's one fund I am eyeing to move out of. I've had good success with it. I'm more into the bond side for protection but with the bond market looking topsy, the unconstrained funds are one choice besides short term govt.

We haven't gone down ten percent yet which has been a general trigger for me. Lately I've been sweeping profits. I have a feeling things might get worse here but I've been wrong many times before. It's all part of the game.
  • edited October 2014
    Here's summary of latest ratings for VintageFreak's list (funds at least 1 year old):

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/fund-ratings/?symbol=+BPRRX+BGRSX+ARLSX+RLSFX+RSAFX+LSOFX+WBMAX+WBLSX+TFSMX+TFSSX+PMHDX+WMCNX+IRONX+NLSAX+NABAX+OTCRX+MASNX+RNBWX&submit=Submit

If you sort on Risk, top performers rise to top...interesting...Litman Gregory Master Alt Strats In (MASFX), RiverPark Structural Alpha Institut (RSAIX), Ironclad Managed Risk (IRONX), and Robeco Boston Partners L/S Rsrch In (BPIRX).
  • RGHVX?

I guess this one is similar to SWHEX too. Notice I left HSGFX out which I own. Funds that simply invest and hedge exposure I left out. To me they are not "alternative". I mean even FPACX and CGMFX take short positions, and I am not looking at them that way either.

Not to say RGHVX should 't be worthy of consideration otherwise.
  • Charles said:

Here's summary of latest ratings for VintageFreak's list (funds at least 1 year old):

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/fund-ratings/?symbol=+BPRRX+BGRSX+ARLSX+RLSFX+RSAFX+LSOFX+WBMAX+WBLSX+TFSMX+TFSSX+PMHDX+WMCNX+IRONX+NLSAX+NABAX+OTCRX+MASNX+RNBWX&submit=Submit

If you sort on Risk, top performers rise to top...interesting...Litman Gregory Master Alt Strats In (MASFX), RiverPark Structural Alpha Institut (RSAIX), Ironclad Managed Risk (IRONX), and Robeco Boston Partners L/S Rsrch In (BPIRX).

Thank you Charles! I keep forgetting this feature you added.
  • You're very welcome (and Accipiter is one that gets bulk of the credit for the good MFO Risk Profile and MultiSearch tools).
  • @VintageFreak
    My responsibility-to-others plate is a bit overflowing right now so can't help; but if you're willing to put in the time and work, I promise to read and thoroughly consider everything you report. Maybe something pops out and warrants deeper drilling. Sure, go for it, why not?
    An excellent idea--- a like-y face and three thumbs up!
  • scott said:

I will say, despite my reluctance to be in anything Pimco, I'm rather fascinated by the performance of their new Managed Futures fund, which has actually done better this year than one of the largest managed futures hedge funds and has had performance that is vastly superior to the category.

Actually Arnott is being added to all "fundamental" funds I believe. I have added one fund that has a good record PFSDX to the list.