Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Shiller On Long-Term Stock Predictions And What To Watch For In This Wild Market: Video Presentation

Comments

• My prediction - it will be higher.
  • I listened to the whole thing. Sounds like a nice guy. But, like many stock market 'talkers' he leaves a lot to the listeners interpretation and leaves himself 'outs'.

Basically, he said the stock market valuation is high, not as high as 2000, and could go higher.

Let's put him in the same class as Art Cashin.
  • edited October 2014
    Dex said:

I listened to the whole thing. Sounds like a nice guy. But, like many stock market 'talkers' he leaves a lot to the listeners interpretation and leaves himself 'outs'.

Basically, he said the stock market valuation is high, not as high as 2000, and could go higher.

Let's put him in the same class as Art Cashin.

I also listened to the whole thing. Yes, very nice guy, won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2013 along with 2 others.
    He says the current CAPE is 26, with a historical average of 15. But it was 45 in the year 2000. The current CAPE still suggests positive returns, but not nearly as high as expectations. CAPE in Europe is significantly lower, and much lower still in the PIGS or PIIGS countries and China. He said his theory would be to invest there, in the low CAPE countries, but he hesitated and said he wanted to think about that....Too bad the interview was so short and didn't cover bonds, except for the briefest mention of them. Would like to know Robert Shiller's thoughts on the bond market.
  • rjb112 said:

I also listened to the whole thing. Yes, very nice guy, won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2013 along with 2 others.

B. Obama won a Nobel Prize ... just sayin'