Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Help with Rollover IRA at Price

Hi folks,

Just looking for your goodly wisdom. I'm retired and have a middle six figure 457 account (state gov't) that I just rolled into an IRA at Price (brokerage account). Took care of it online and over the phone in about an hour. Check's in the mail to me to forward. And yes, it's made out to them in my name.

I wee bit of background. 66 and retired. Active investor for 30 years (e. g. I was buying with my retirement account on Black Friday; I moved all the cash and bonds in both my wife and my retirement accounts into equities when the first Gulf War broke out; I went bullish on gold and silver in 2002 and hit my first homerun with Silver Weaton SLW.) Note that I am a momentum investor as compared to buy & hold.

I've got a DB pension and social security, no debt and wifey is about the same.

Some of this IRA I plan to spend wantonly and with great abandon. Some I plan to leave to my estate. Some I'll play with for giggles. What I need to do is to protect and safeguard the majority while covering myself against most economic probabilities. If we start with the traditional allocation it would be something like 34/56/10 - equities, bonds, cash. If I include a speculation fund, let's call it 30/50/10/10.

What percentage of int'l in each category?
What equity funds to consider?
What bond funds to consider?
What external funds to consider? (i.e. this is a Brokerage account so I could buy a Matthews Asian fund if I wanted).

Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

Comments

• Good to hear from ya @rono.

Having the account in the brokerage was a great move. I don't know much about TRP except that they are a good company to deal with. Your asset allocation figures are a good starting point and I'm sure you will adjust as time and circumstance permit. As for international equities, I personally like 30-40% of the equity portion in international. That would include emerging markets albeit at a small portion of that. You mentioned Matthews Asia. MPACX would be a good general pick. Their Pacific Tiger fund could fit within the EM portion. I really like MAINX for a small part of your fixed income portion.

I was in a similar position several years ago. I ended up picking an asset allocation fund of funds as my core holding and then branching off of that. In our older years simplicity can be a great thing.

Think about having ten percent of your portfolio as play or speculative. You could invest in some individual stocks or ETFs that you feel might go up.

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice here.

All the best, John.
  • Thanks John,

Yeah, I've always loved Matthews. Wonderful family. I had my original IRA at Price at one time and was able to get really crazy with pm stocks back in the early days of the bull run in 2002 and 3. Geez, they'll trade pink sheets if you've got the chops. That's where I hit a homer with SLW. I was buying in the $2-3 range and it went to $43. OohRah!

35% int'l is sensible and MAINX is a way to get some portion in int'l bonds.

I'm with you as to keeping things simple. Geez, I'm busy hugging trees. This is pretty much what I've done with the wife's rollover - put it on cruise control.

Having a core holding as base also sounds reasonable.

thanks,

rono

• @Rono SHRAX, PRHSX, PRWCX, PRGTX.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi, Rono, I too have my rollover IRA at TRP. PRWCX is my core holding, but it closed to new investors at the end of June. I believe TRP may make an exception for IRA rollovers. Doesn't hurt to ask if you like the fund. I have done well by it. PRWCX was also the core holding in my TRP 401k for the past few years. I'm 61 now and retired last year. Happy investing!
  • Another vote for PRWCX if you can get in. PRHSX is a fine fund for speculation but you may want to be bolder.For cash I would consider Floating Rate(a bit bold) short term bond or ultra short term bond. For international I think I would go outside Price unless you want to use TRP Discovery as a speculation(its a small cap international)To get more diversification with limited work a little bit of the target 2015 fund might make sense You do after all have 6 figures in the account
  • Hi rono. Hard to give suggestions to a guy I used to take advice from. Heck, I think I remember guys like you and Ed talking about PRWCX 7 or 8 years ago.

Good luck on your roll over and have a happy retirement. I'm sure you and the Barron von Rothschild have all the bases covered.
  • Thanks folks,

All great suggestions that I will heed. PRWCX has been great for years. Core type fund.

As mentioned, wifey has her rollover there and I had a traditional IRA there for about 10 years.

Whence I get it set up, I'll share with you good people.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono