Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So, what caused the spasmodic market this week ???

edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
spasmodic

[spaz-mod-ik]

adjective
pertaining to or of the nature of a spasm; characterized by spasms.

resembling a spasm or spasms; sudden but brief; sporadic:
"spasmodic efforts at reform."

given to or characterized by bursts of excitement.

Was this a test of the financial system by......(fill in the blank) ???

Or that the ECB is not the same type of central bank as the Fed., BOE or BOJ; and is really in a fix of its ability to do much more, legally ???

Comments

• TedTed
    edited October 2014
    @catch22: Enough already with the grammar lesson, how much do you have allocated to equities.
  • Nothing caused it.
  • edited October 2014
    I think a number of issues caused it and the idea (and I emphasize "idea", as you have another Fed governor today saying "well, maybe and maybe not") of more QE - at least for the time being - ended the concerns.

I hope that I'm wrong but I would not take today's move as a sign that everything is a-ok and instead would take it as an opportunity to sell what you want to sell. Don't dump everything, not saying the end of the world - absolutely not. However, if there was something you were planning to get rid of, do it today and then step back and wait for an opportunity.

Just my thoughts. I hope I'm wrong, but I view today as a positive more from the standpoint of an opportunity to re-position if you have any desire to.
  • causes: overbought market and hedge fund positioning in the face of falling commodity prices.
  • Howdy @fundalarm

Hope you and yours are doing well.
    So, just some tired folks and markets; and time to rotate some monies, eh?

One may suppose anything going forward, but we did purchase a bit more in
    the healthcare area....... PRHSX and FSPHX, as prices had backed off a bit.

This funds really get driven with the bio/pharma areas, so I'm hoping they will
    hold up properly.

Fingers crossed for good luck as always.

Thank you for your note and time.

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited October 2014
    @catch22: i did a bit of nibbling myself. moved 2% of portfolio value to add to various positions. in healthcare, i have VGHCX since 1998, but am limited by the size of that roth account to add more. take care. fa
  • edited October 2014
    fundalarm said:

@catch22: i did a bit of nibbling myself. moved 2% of portfolio value to add to various positions. in healthcare, i have VGHCX since 1998, but am limited by the size of that roth account to add more. take care. fa

Added to T Rowe Healthcare. Healthcare is something that I continue to look to add to in various forms.

As always, thank you for your comments as your insights are always greatly appreciated.