Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Future of Design - Elon Musk Visits MIT

edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
From Elon Musk...

I will be attending an address by him at the upcoming AeroAstro at 100.

Will share my impressions with the board.

Comments

• @Charles: Does it have a Off-Topic feature along with computer discussion, and do you need to sign-in every two weeks ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited October 2014

From last week's "South Park", which was one of the best episodes they've had in ages. In all seriousness, I find Musk fascinating, but not really finding Tesla or Solarcity that appealing for one reason or another. Mobileye, which I believe is behind the driver assistance system in the new Tesla D, may be interesting as a broader play.

"Mobileye is almost certainly the supplier of the camera’s image recognition chip or chips. The brief description of the camera-based technology by Tesla CEO Elon Musk is in line with MBLY’s exact strengths and with technology that MBLY has provided to other automakers. The image recognition algorithms provided by MBLY will allow the Model S to read signs, distinguish objects, and react to traffic lights [...] Mobileye’s system on a chip contains complex image processing algorithms that TSLA is assembling into its own autonomous driving systems. The quick-and-easy way to think about Mobileye’s edge is that it leads the market in the ability to interpret the visual field, meaning that any automaker that uses a camera in its active safety systems is likely to source the MBLY chip."

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2014/10/10/mobileye-sinks-with-chips-despite-tesla-wonder-car/
  • I will be very interested to hear your thoughts
  • edited October 2014
    Fully packed auditorium yesterday during Elon's talk...

He started Space X to advance technologies that will enable sustainable human life on Mars...to help make mankind multi-planetary...to re-energize manned space exploration.

Re-usability is key to economical space flight, if there is such a thing.

Precision rocket-controlled landing is next big milestone. Never wants to "crash land" with parachutes.

Interplanetary endeavors are not as important to mankind as say health care, but he believes more important than say cosmetics.

Rockets and electric cars have been all consuming. He dreams of other innovations like supersonic all-electric aircraft, but at this point pursuing more would "fry his brain."

Smaller companies are more innovative than large ones.

One of Space X's competitive advantages is its ability to move quickly.

Best ideas adopted from all layers of organization, not just from "management."

He would rather hire engineers than MBAs.

He would need to build 200 "giga" battery factories to replace all 2B gasoline powered vehicles in next 20 years with electric vehicles.

Not shown on the couple links below was that he stayed and answered about 100 questions from eager young students. At one point he literally helped with a student's senior design project!

Polite. Bright. Engaging. Seems like he has ability to discuss broad topics with depth.

Not sure the many veteran astronauts in the audience appreciated his comments as much as the students did.

Thought it was absolutely great he took the time to share his perspectives at this celebratory and historical event.

We are very fortunate to have him innovating in the US.

c

Musk at MIT.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 396K
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice.

Every single seat at Kresge filled. Line to get in wrapped out the door and around past the student center toward track field. Huge.

Hey, another thing I remember...he articulated that while the machine itself is important, like a Tesla, the machine to build the machine is even more so...a one-off is hard to do, building a 1000 with quality is "100 times harder...maybe more."

"A lot of smart people should be getting into manufacturing...and it's really interesting."

c
  • @Charles, thank you for the detailed report. Particularly,

He know what it takes to advance technology, not financial engineering. Take a look at IBM, HP, Cisco, and other old tech firms who fail to understand what "innovation" requires. Soon they will follow the paths of Kodak, Polaroid...

He does remind me the young Steve Jobs but with different personality.
  • @Charles, Thanks also for this thread. Musk is a fascinating character.