Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I believe they also announce earnings after the bell?

The local grocery is remodeling and just got new Verifone POS terminals, which accept mobile/EMV payments - the same terminals that Whole Foods recently got. Ingenico and Verifone remain a way to play that.

As I've noted before, the benefit of Apple Pay forcing POS upgrades is that those terminals will also accept other forms of mobile payment (Google Wallet, etc.)
  • edited October 2014
    I just saw another article that MasterCard will introduce fingerprint activated credit cards in 2015.

http://m.electronista.com/articles/14/10/19/zwipe.mastercard.team.up.to.combine.fingerprint.authentication.contactless.payments/
  • Can't wait.

I no longer carry cash.

Ca't wait until I no longer need to carry a wallet!
  • Charles said:

Can't wait.

I no longer carry cash.

Ca't wait until I no longer need to carry a wallet!

Even Groupon has a new grocery shopping app. You are offered various deals. If you get one of the products at any store, you take a picture of your receipt and you are given credit. Once you reach $20, they send you a check.

I think the problem is that you'll need to have a wallet for the foreseeable future. I've tried to use my phone at a particular grocery and I don't always get a signal in the store. What if you're out of battery?

What they need to do is evolve the wallet. I want to be able to look through coupons online, put them in the wallet, put my rewards cards in the wallet and then, when I check out, it's one touch of the phone to the POS terminal and in that one touch, the rewards card is scanned and coupons are taken off and I pay.

Eventually - and maybe this involves the beacons that were developed and much discussed as potentially part of Apple Pay originally - I want to go in a store and have my phone tell me that there's a sale on soda right now if I walk over to aisle three, or if I'm passing by the store, it'll tell me if I come in now I'll get 5% off. There's an amazing potential for targeted marketing and the technology is there, but I think it really becomes there has to be a chain that does it first and makes all the others feel that they have to play catch-up.

Google Wallet right now does store rewards cards and payment. I click CVS if I'm in CVS and the CVS card pops up. Cashier scans card, then I don't have to do anything on-screen and just put the phone up to POS terminal. It beeps, all done. Hopefully this continues to evolve, as there's a lot of benefits to the mobile wallet. Both currently offer improved security, given the tokenization features of Apple Pay and the fact that Google Wallet doesn't use your card in the transaction itself (it uses as Mastercard, then your card is charged after.)