Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IBM *PAYS* Globalfoundaries $1.5B to take its chip arm

Comments

• It will be funny if that company turns that chip unit into a money maker.
  • edited October 2014
    Plus, in a two-fer, IBM comes out with a terrible earnings report this AM. Stock -8%.

It will be funny if that company turns that chip unit into a money maker.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

• edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think Maurice has it basically right. The semiconductor industry is hugely capital intensive, so much so now that even companies like IBM have to take a deep breath and think carefully about whether they want to invest billions in the next round of device manufacturing.

You're seeing more and more consolidation, not only on the fab side but on the tool side (the companies that make the equipment that manufacture the chips) - AMAT and TEL recently agreed to merge.

Decades ago, companies designed their devices, built their own manufacturing equipment (tools) and used them to manufacture their designs. As equipment became more expensive (and the process a bit more standardized), companies gave up on making their own tools. Around a quarter century ago, foundries started, because it was more cost effective (especially for low tech chips) to manufacture in bulk, as Maurice described. As wafers got larger (now 300mm), circuitry smaller, yield more difficult to achieve, the trend accelerated.

There's something to be said for IDMs - they'll be at the leading edge. The best foundries, like TSMC, will come close, but there's still lag time. I expect the arrangement IBM has made will allow it to preserve an IDM-like product cycle.

In plain English, vertical integration has benefits. I don't think that's the kind of one-stop shopping Maurice was referring to.

Disclaimer: I've been to the fab at E. Fishkill, as well as fabs in the midwest, Silicon Valley, and Asia. I've jumped into more bunny suits than one would like (i.e. once in a lifetime should be enough for anyone).