Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Perspectives on Inequality and Opportunity ...

edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
Speech by U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen
October 17, 2014

"The lower half of households by wealth held just 3 percent of wealth in 1989 and only 1 percent in 2013."

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/yellen20141017a.htm

Comments

• " society faces difficult questions of how best to fairly and justly promote equal opportunity. My purpose today is not to provide answers to these contentious questions, but rather to provide a factual basis for further discussion"

Don't have enough time or interest in reading everything a 67yo. gizzer might say:
    but let me answer your own question Janet:
    How about EVERYONE in the U.S. develop Skills in those 12-16 school years of reading history, Geography, whatever, when they get into the workforce they have a marketable skills,then they can get up every morning and go to work, make money, pay their bills, spend some money, save/invest the rest....
    There you go Janet , now you can provide these "answers" if you would like.....
  • >> Skills in those 12-16 school years of reading history, Geography, whatever, when they get into the workforce they have a marketable skills,then they can get up every morning and go to work, make money, pay their bills, spend some money, save/invest the rest

If only it were so simple. I guess these worthy people must be able to create their own jobs.

And a pony too!
  • Ask EVERY major company in the U.S. if they need SKILLED workers. I can tell you their answer if you want.
  • The New Deal has run it's course. We need serious discussion on creative ways to engage those who are on the lower end of the social economic range in this country.

Everything I see or read is "what can government do to redistribute wealth" or "what can government do to force companies (or the wealthy) to help poor people".

Throwing good money after bad is not the answer, IMO.

Is there any way to engage this demographic to better their lives? Can we at least try to get them to raise their children in a productive manner?

Poor people have become like zoo animals who are thrown food twice/day, but have no meaning to their lives.

No simple answers I guess.