Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Schnitzer Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2014 Financial Results

It gets no love.

Best performance in years and stock still down today at 52 week lows.

I think they continue to improve efficiency in their businesses, led by Tamara Lundgren.

Struggling through metal demand cycle, while holding off imports/dumping.

Spread helps protect them.

This full cycle recycling business continues to intrigue me, but it has cost me...the worst performer in my portfolio this year.

http://www.schnitzersteel.com/documents/2014-q4-earnings-conf-call-presentation.pdf

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Seems like a good quarter, maybe worries about Asian demand and continued negative industry sentiment? Pays a good dividend, although inconsistent perhaps, given the fluctuations of the industry. I guess it becomes the question of why did you buy it and are those reasons still valid. The recycling business is very interesting, but you could get a boring investment like WM.
  • edited October 2014
    Looks like market digested results and SCHN now up 3%. That's another 5% swing on earnings day, which seems quite common these days.

Amazing how short term the market can be.

Perhaps each quarterly reports seems to validate held perception of true value, either way.

I continue to believe the story on this one and feel I understand it and the environment enough to I stick with it despite recent retractions and negative momentum. Honestly, one of few equities I have done that with of late.

Time will tell.
  • BTW...WM seems to be everywhere!
  • TedTed
    edited October 2014
    @Charles: Talk about having faith ! Good Luck !
    Regards,
    Ted

Total Return % (10/27/2014)

1-Day

1-Week

1-Month

3-Month

YTD

1-Year

3-Year

5-Year

10-Year

15-Year

SCHN
    -1.02 -1.71 -5.01 -17.77 -29.84 -23.70 -21.76 -12.43 -1.56 10.87
  • edited October 2014
    Ha! You don't need to remind me...I feel it everyday I open my Schwab account.

And get this, Andrew Lane of M* was on the earning call.

He just reduced his fair value estimate from $30 to $23.

Looks like he stopped believing.
  • On more reflection...what a wimp!