Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Data Showing Investors are Loading Up On Stocks.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Hi JohnChisum,

Thanks for posting this asset allocation poll. I have added the link to my favorites for future reference. Indeed, it will show how investors are currently moving money and positoning.

I have provided the link below that contains my favorite reference links along with some script that details my portfolio's current holdings along with my portfolio's sleeve management system as of November 4, 2014.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/14955/old-skeet-s-favorite-links-portfolio-investment-sleeve-management-system-and-more

Old_Skeet
  • I'd just be a little careful because their Portfolio Pulse Survey has a lifespan of exactly 3 months. Making a claim that "data" shows investors are loading up on stocks based on 3 whole months of data doesn't make me feel very comfortable.
  • I guess that's why they call it a pulse survey? Thanks for that info.
  • edited November 2014
    Granted its history as a poll is short but I believe they are on to something in doing this. It would be interesting if Bespoke would expand their market poll survey to include this type of portfolio survey as to one's current asset allocation.
  • I agree it is useful and interesting. I think you can get a decent idea of how asset allocations are changing on a much bigger scale by looking at fund flow data, which I don't do very often. Of course that doesn't include direct stock investments and its not perfect by any means, but directionally it gives you a decent idea of where money is moving to and from. In the commentary from InvestorPlace, it says the latest survey received 287 responses, and while I'm not sure whether that's statistically significant or not, it seems like a relatively small number considering something close to 25,000 people read MFO every month. With that kind of number, we could probably do our own survey every week or every month and have just as good an indicator.