Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Get Safe Annual Payouts Of 7%

TedTed
edited December 2011 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Excellent article for those looking for income.
Regards,
Ted
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748703438504577042394189481000.html#printMode

Comments

• Hi Ted,

Thank you........an area several here at MFO keep on the radar.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Hi, Ted.

It's always good to hear from you, big guy.

Several funds seem to be taking more eclectic views about income. I'm trying to think through their strategies. I'll share what I can.

David
  • Ted,
    I think it is important to know when you are retired and in the 15% tax bracket, that either 85% of your Social security or less depending on the interest, dividends, including tax-free, and capital gains are included in taxable income. Lower than 85% is good if you can control the amount. Also, for 2011-2012 capital gains are taxed at 0% if in 15% tax a bracket.
  • I'm one of those "lucky" ones: 10% tax bracket, so cap gains are untaxed. What was Ted saying? Dividends and interest ARE taxed? I should already KNOW that, but I don't. And I have a professional do my taxes. I wouldn't dream of trying to go through all that crapola MYSELF. My Rollover IRA (PREMX: TRP) generates monthly income I've not yet decided to tap, so it gets reinvested. My Trad. IRA is in MAPIX and spins-off $$$ every quarter, likewise untapped and reinvested. Current employment income is non-taxable. Strange but true, yes. I'm not complaining.
  • Hi, Ted -

Good to hear from you again. I will probably retire soon, and this excellent article looks like homework I should be doing!

Thanks,

Archaic
  • edited December 2011
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: You might need to pay taxes on your Pfizer (PFE) dividends and other taxable assets that generate distributions even if you choose to re-invest. If distributions are big enough they may bump you to next bracket. You may use a professional to do your taxes but you have to know the tax result of your actions before the tax time.