Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dividend Stocks, Pros & Cons

Article:http://www.caniretireyet.com/dividend-stock-investor/ The Whole article.

but the view from Tampabay:

The Appeal of Dividend Stocks

"Before we take a look at the drawbacks and details for investing in dividend stocks, let’s review the positives:

Choosing high dividend-paying stocks has been a staple of conservative, retired investors for as long as stocks have existed. With dividends, you receive regular payments while keeping your principal intact. In today’s environment, dividend rates can easily exceed what you could earn on bank savings by several percentage points. That’s a very appealing feature for retirees like myself. Unlike with a total return strategy (where you are relying on both dividends and growth and must harvest your principal periodically), with dividend stocks your income shows up regularly without any decision-making required on your part. It’s a retirement “paycheck.”

Another appealing aspect of dividend stocks, in contrast to income based on bonds, is that the income from a well-chosen portfolio of dividend stocks is likely to grow enough to keep up with inflation over long time spans. That isn’t because of any explicit mechanism, but rather due to the inherent nature of inflation — a general increase in the cost of goods and services. Businesses, after all, are the entities that provide those goods and services. And they are likely to raise their prices, and consequently their dividends, in the face of persistent inflation.

If you need more reason to consider dividend stock investing, try this: the strategy, though conservative, can actually outperform the broader stock market for extended periods"

Comments

• Howdy,

Points all well taken. However, I simplify the vetting process by starting my dividend portfolio with my utilities. CMS, DTE, FTR and T are paying 3.3, 3.3, 6.2, and 5.3. Oh, and I throw in a healthy stinking dose of NCV (11.7) in every exempt/deferred account I have.

And, until recently, I've been an active momentum investor so doing a bit of due diligence on dividend stocks isn't brain surgery.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited November 2014

Tampabay Your Portfolio Relative to S&P 500 (Morningstar)
    Projected EPS Growth - 5 yr % 8.08 0.81
    Yield % 2.52 1.47

8% 5yr earnings growth + 2.5 % yield.....sitting right where I want to be