Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pimco Leads 'Go=Anywhere' Funds Veering Off Course As Rates Fall

TedTed
edited December 2011 in Fund Discussions
FYI: The big winners in 2011 fixed-income arena were the 30yr.Treasury Bond, and long-term investment grade corporate bonds.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2011-12-07/pimco-leads-go-anywhere-funds-veering-off-course-as-rates-fall.html

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Morn'in Ted,

Thank you....interesting read, and this quote attracted my attention:

"’Dangerous’ Treasuries
    William Eigen, who runs the JP Morgan fund, said that while he is disappointed with his “flat” performance this year, he isn’t unhappy with the choices he made.

“I don’t regret not owning Treasuries because they were dangerous,” Eigen, who has managed the JP Morgan Strategic Income Opportunities Fund (JSOAX) since its inception in 2008, said in a telephone interview from Boston. “In fixed income you need to be looking at alternatives.”

Dangerous compared to what ??? Europe melting down, 99% of U.S. government leaders/congress having cranial/rectal inversion?

Dan Fuss, Loomis-Salyes; stated yesterday that a "coin toss" is as good as it gets right now; UNTIL the Euro kids and their Friday meeting. I fully agree.
    There is either going to be a further investment grade area bond rally; or a large equity rally (at least through year end) dependent upon the value of the EU meeting on Friday. Joe/Jane investor will not be able to take much advantage of this; unless they are a trader, and will find one direction or the other come Monday morning with the opening of the Asia markets. Joe/Jane investor may find their investments to be on the right side of the tracks by virtue of sheer luck; as I find no method to assure where to be; as of today, Wednesday.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/82279410/

This house has been sitting upon a variety of bonds for this year; awaiting the big change to come from Europe; only to find the continued flow of the problems that have plagued the markets for two years.

Generally speaking, if one has been invested in bond funds with holdings in Treasury issues, including TIPs; you have continued to sail into strong head winds, but have arrived at the positive side, YTD.

There remains a strong dividing line between some bond types and the equity area. One or the other will be the most happy with a holiday gift of profit a year's end; and it all lays in the lap of European decisions.

Even if there is some magic plan to arise from this Friday's meeting; the likely benefit may be a short term bump in equity sectors; but the possible full fix will likely have to also be a function of each EU government actually approving a plan.
    This could take many months into 2012.

My observations and understanding of the EU financial problem continues to be that the whole legal contract and compact among all nations and how to rewrite the original treaty to "authorize" actual legal functions, is a major hurdle.
    The Euro compact, it appears; was written without the consideration of how to legally deal with the financial circumstances that are now present.

Some type of temporary "fudge factor" is going to have to be put in place; and it must be now............they (EU) are running out of time.

My coffee induced, and inflation adjusted 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Catch

• edited December 2011
    While I agree with some of the viewpoints, I will definitely agree that the performance of these funds has been disappointing this year, especially given the flexible mandates.

"By the end of October, the non-traditional funds had $55 billion in assets, up from $2.8 billion at the end of 2008. Investors pulled almost $4 billion from non-traditional bond funds in the three months ended Oct. 31, after performance this year trailed the bond market."

"Some type of temporary "fudge factor" is going to have to be put in place; and it must be now............they (EU) are running out of time. "

It will be. The system will be continually bailed out at the expense of the citizens rather than going through the effort of crafting any sort of long-term/sustainable solution.