Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Big Bucks ($) hunting for Big Bucks (deer) in Michigan, talk about money flows.....

edited November 2014 in Off-Topic
Nov. 15, the "Super Bowl" of game hunting in Michigan begins at sunrise, the firearms hunting season for deer; lasting until Nov. 30.

2013 numbers

--- 1,140,000 licenses sold
--- 662,000 hunters for the 2 week period
--- 385,000 deer kills
--- $2.3 billion economic impact

--- 49,000 reported (many are not a reported accident) vehicle/deer crashes
--- 12 individuals died from deer/vehicle crashes
--- 1,212 indivduals injured from deer/vehicle crashes

The licenses sold and the two weeks period above do not match; as there are several deer hunting periods involving and limited to particular types of weapons (cross-bow, black powder, youth/age group, etc.), beginning as early as September 21.

The average hunter spends $885.00 on travel and equipment. Perhaps a dubious number.....beer, beer, beer....fixin's for 5 gallons of chili at the camp, etc.

Seven years ago, my family members (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.); had 18 crashes, in a 3 month period, with deer. One uncle claimed 1 a month, for three months in a row.

Many stores, malls, bars, taverns and related have "deer widows" events going all weekend long. Sales, special prices on drinks and dinners; you name it, and someone has figured an angle for revenue.

Several major highways northbound would have been good to avoid today, Friday; for the casual driver, around some areas.

Lastly. There will be "x" number of hunters who won't make it to there "spot" in the woods at sunrise; at least for opening day. They will have had too much fun at the deer camp or the local tavern in some small town; and just can't find the energy to arise at 6 am.

T'was also easier to spot the "getting ready" hunters at the grocery store from the type of products in the shopping cart.

Note: when opening day (always Nov. 15) is on a weekday, many schools in northern Michigan, especially the Upper Peninsula, close. The schools that do not close, generally find a larger than normal absence of students on opening day.

My hunting is reserved to the monetary aspect.

Detroit News, short article

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• @catch, I lived in Michigan briefly in the 90's, and never understood the thrill of deer hunting, especially when the state allows for the practice of "baiting" prior to the season opening. Over-population of deers is rampant across the country including my home state, Oregon. In the past 10 years, we have sustained over $10k worth of damage to our cars (at least they are replaceable). Not sure if deers are considered games or pests.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.