Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

G-20 agrees to boost growth by $2 trillion

Sorry I'm not including a link but the key point for me was that they specifically mentioned investing in infrastructure as part of their plan. I know there are a few fans of TOLSX here from other discussions. Is this the kind of news that would make anyone add to or make a new investment in TOLSX or an alternative infrastructure fund?

Comments

• May be good for "pure play" infrastructure that focuses on specific projects and can be opportunistic (a la Brookfield Infrastructure/BIP), but wouldn't add to it because of anything they say at these sort of meetings.
  • TOLSX is a good long term bet for infrastructure. With that said I would not use the G-20 announcement as a reason to buy or add to the fund. The G-20 has no power to start these projects, only words. It is up to each country to fund and build their infrastructure.
  • edited November 2014
    Simpson-Bowles anyone ?
    "The summit also included agreements to crack down on tax dodging, strengthen the financial system, deal with climate change and a transatlantic trade deal between the U.S. and EU.Such meetings are typically marked by grandiose promises that are seldom met, so the summit agreed on a new regime, run by the IMF and the OECD, to hold countries accountable if they do not deliver."
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/2130215-g20-commits-to-grow-economy-russia-isolated-over-ukraine
    OECD uses its wealth of information on a broad range of topics to help governments foster prosperity and fight poverty through economic growth and financial stability. We help ensure the environmental implications of economic and social development are taken into account.
    http://www.oecd.org/about/whatwedoandhow/
    I M F anyone? No selfies here!
    http://www.hedgeho.com/wp-content/uploads/strauss-kahn.jpg
    Elsewhere:
    Tokyo shares skid as Japan slips into recession
    Reuters By Lisa Twaronite
    - Japanese stocks skidded on Monday, helping the yen rebound from a fresh seven-year low against the dollar touched after data showed Japan unexpectedly fell into recession in the third quarter as its economy shrank.
    The shockingly downbeat report reinforced expectations Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will delay a sales tax hike, set for October next year, after a hike in the tax in April took a heavy toll on consumption.

The disappointing GDP data sent the Nikkei stock average <.N225> tumbling 2 percent
  • More bureaucracy, just what the world needs. Putin felt the need to show strength in Brisbane so he had a fleet of russian warships stand off the Australia coast during the meeting. That didn't stop PM's Cameron and Abbott among others being critical of his policy on Ukraine and the issue of MH17 in which a large number of Australian bodies have yet to be recovered as well as many from other countries.